Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

FIle managers for FS?

I've seen a few different file managers for FS that are meant to ease installing and uninstalling add-on planes and scenery. Does anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions?Thanks

I personally don't use them. I believe a computer user should know what is on their computer, e.g., how to add, delete, defrag, scan, etc. to maintain a clean machine.

Guest ba747heavy

I agree, but I do hate installing scenwery. Planes are fine, they aren't any 'hard' planes to install, but some scenery areas take forever to install, so I wrote Fred Edit(named after me ;-)) 1.1 to ease the install of scenery. I am contemplating adding some more features to FE 1.1, and expanding the scenery concept to include installing planes, sounds, etc.

Strange, I have no problem installing scenery! Usually 1 or 2 complicated files, same as aircraft, at the most. Pretty basic. I too, like to know what I have going into my PC and do it manually. I cannot stand auto-installers! Only utilty I use is ADD IT pro to check on compatability and for ease of changing CFGs, works very well.Regards, Michael :-lol

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest ba747heavy

Michael,:-) I know most scenery is easy to install, but when they throw all the bgls, .bmps, etc into 1 directory and say 'just copy the bgls into the scenery directory', it makes me want to scream ;-) I hate having to weed through many hundreds of files that are included in the zip files. Thats where FE 1.1 comes in :)Happy flying

Fred, on that point, I will agree, I have come across that a few times and it IS[/font size] a pain! I don't know why someone would upload it like that! I do see posts by people that are new to installing files and get emails from some that have no idea how to install my scenery. I'll have to check out FE 1.1, I can always recommend a good utility!Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest ba747heavy

Michael,I don't know if you will like FE 1.1, it does a good job for what I wrote it for(IMHO ;-)) However, it lacks error checking, such as checking to see if there is a duplicate entries, things like that. Perhaps in Version 2.0 :)Clear skys