Sign in to follow this  

icing??

Is icing still possible in FS2K2? It occurs to me that I haven't had any ice in a very long time (perhaps because it's been summer??). I know it used to be possible to get carb ice but I don't recall if structural ice is possible. Can anyone clear this up before icing season returns for real? ;-)David

Guest Heather 636

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember reading something about this within the last few days that mentioned being able to enable this through the FSUIPC module. That's about all I can tell you as i have never messed with it's settings.It would be nice to know.Good luck!Heather

Hi David,Yes, FS2K2 icing works.You must be inside a cloud with freezing temperatures and have icing in clouds turned on (FSUIPC has a random icing in clouds feature).If icing conditions are present, FS will start accumulating ice on the airframe and you drag will increase (and performance decrease). It will also block your pitot tube if you do not have pitot heat on.When you then fly clear of icing conditions (out of the clouds) the ice will start melting (temps above freezing) or sublimating (temps below freezing) and in time you will have a clear airframe and pitot tube again.The only problem with all of this is that you don't know when you have airframe ice or not. In the real world you would look at your wing (or even the windshield) and see the ice. In FS your only clue is the decreased performance and increased drag, which may or may not be noticable. In my ActiveSky add-on, I am working on an airframe ice accumulation indicator.Hope that helps!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

DamianIcing is very much an inflight hazard and should be part of a weather dynamics.Weather dynamics is an area which microsoft need to seriously look at in FS2004.(Away from the ground and into the invironment we fly in ;-)Peter