Sign in to follow this  

Departure Procedures ........... duuuuuuhhhh!

I've been messing about with MS sim's since FS95 but I have only recently starting participating in a "VA" so my flight plans need to have a little more "direction" on the departure end ( I'll worry about arrivals later ). My question is this ..... once you have determined the departure runway how do you ( in some reasonably short order ) determine which DP and transition to use. I use FSbuild because it includes some DP's but when a list of a dozen or so drop down I still don't know which to use. And when there is no DP option for an airport where I know there are DP's it get's even more confusing. Is it necessary to go to the various sites that supply DP details and print all the various options for getting off the ground in a more true to life manner or am I making this far more complicated than I should be. Any suggestions, guideance, quick-fixes or humor that will help will be appreciated !!!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Some ideas:1. Try www.simatc.com. They have flight plan suggestions and charts you can view and print for many departure procedures (arrivals too). 2. Check out NAV3.1. You can get it from the AVSIM hanger sites. It's a graphical flight planner that allows you to select departure and arrival procedures for many airports and see on the map how they will effect your flight. 3. If you're using the DF737, PIC767, or PSS Airbus, you can see your DP on the navigation display when you select it in the FMC. The Dreamfleet FMC is the easiest since it lets you scroll through the DPs and preview each one. Very nice.Flying proper procedures can be challenging and rewarding, especially in aircraft that require you to do so with VOR/DME equipment instead of nice automated FMCs. Best of luck!Philip.

Hi there,unfortunately, SIDs come with all kinds of funky names that don't necessarily give you any clue as to which direction they're going in, so you'd really have to look at the charts to determine which one to use. A good site for flight planning (unfortunately only in the US) is www.fltplan.com (registration is free). There you can find government-preferred routes etc., to make your flight as realistic as possible. Then check out the local Vatsim sites for your departure and arrivals airports for the correct procedures. Most of them have downloadable charts that you can print out. Also, you might want to pay a visit to a local aviation store - real world charts can be surprisingly cheap, and even free, if they're out of date (One local shop owner told me that it's too expensive for him to send the charts back, so he just puts them in a basket at the front of the store for everyone to help themselves...).Cheers,Gosta.

JimBob Firstly, DPs and STARs are only timesaving devices for ATC clearance delivery. They are standard routes that are published on paper and reduce the clutter of a clearance. For instance, "fly DEERPARK 2 departure" is much quicker than saying, "turn left heading 250, climb and maitain 5,000 until joining V6, proceed via 250 radial to Deerpark VOR, thence on course...." for every departure. Large airports have many DPs, which to use depends on the active runway and your destination or initial direction of flight. They also depend on the type of airplane, some are designed for big iron heading longer distances and others for slower, lower types. That said, FS2K2 doesn't use DP/STARs in its ATC clearances. About the only way to do it is with a 3d party utility such as FSNavigator, which inludes them in flight plans if you want. It is payware, though. If you want to build your own flight plans, than going to a site that has DPs is about the only way to do it.