Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

RealATC

Guest firehawk44

I just received my RealATC package I ordered on Sunday with the Three Real Flights. The package looks great! Lots of excellent documentation. I haven't had a chance to fly one of the flights yet but have one general complaint already (and this applies to all heavy jets). According to the documentation, the PIC (that's me) must enter all the comm and nav frequencies; listen to the tower/ATC; set the heading, altitude, and speed settings; set the flaps properly; raise/lower the gear; check the charts; and FLY the 737 through heavy weather to Vienna. Oh, I have to start this puppy up too! I have to do all of this if I want a chance for the best flight rating. Okay, what happened to my First Officer? What's he doing? Talking to the passengers? I can understand handling all of these functions in a Piper or similar type aircraft but not in a large commercial airliner. That's not realistic. When they flew this flight in real time, they didn't fly it without a First Officer. RealATC does offer the option to push a couple of keys that will automatically set all comm and nav settings but that will result in a 50% reduction in my flight score. I have read previous posts where indiv's have stated it's not as real as it gets unless you manually change all the settings yourself. I definitely don't agree as commercial airliners would never fly without the assistance of the First Officer/ Navigator. I'm going to go ahead and attempt a flight without my First Officer. Hope I make it past Dover....Jim

Believe me you can do it. It's hard but the more you fly the adventures you will learn what to do, and when. It just takes time. My biggest problem is trying to understand the accents of the foreign controllers. Regards, Bob.

We couldn't agree with you more, Jim. Flying any multi engine aircraft can be a chore by yourself, but our testers proved time and time again that these flights, while they can be challanging, especially by yourself, can be flown quite sucessfully by one person and without the use of any of the built in help functions.

Guest firehawk44

Thank you Bob and Ralph for your comments. I just got all the charts and documentation printed and ready to make my first attempt. I live in Northern Virginia though and have been glued to the TV concerning the capture of the suspected snipers. I guess I can go shopping and get gas now. If convicted, I hope they receive the firing squad.Thank you again Ralph (and RealATC) for this excellent package. I'm looking forward to the challenges.Sincerely,Jim