Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

TrackIR with CFS3

I own CFS3 but can not bring myself to install it until I know if it works with TrackIR or not. Anyone?David

Not very adventurous are you David?A very simple way to find out is just put the ##**// thing on and see.If it doesn't work you then have a decision to make. Hmmm shall I get rid of IR Tracker or ...should I get rid of CFS3. You can then come on the forum, and some kind soul will tell you what to do. You remind me of some of my students. :(

Don,No, it's just that I bought it at a store that doesn't allow returns if it is opened. I also have a home cockpit that doesn't lend itself easily to reconfiguration (although I'm willing to do it for a game as good as IL2). Lastly, there is that issue about the DirectX version that it installs causing problems with other programs. I sure hope you aren't a CFI if you expect your students to take those kinds of risks!David

I sure hope you aren't >a CFI if you expect your students to take those kinds of >risks! Yes......... but a flight student has to learn to make up their mind quickly. REAL QUICK sometimes, with no one else to save you!!L.Adamson

:-lol Hi David,I shouldn't have ragged on you like that, I see your posts here all the time though.I"m not a CFI, I'm a CDI, a Commercial Driving Instructor. I teach people how to drive the Big Iron, or eightteen wheelers, since I have retired. I just fly for the fun of it. However driving a 40 ton truck is as close as you will get to flying without actually flying, if I may say so. Surprising how many aspects are similar in both situations.Be well, and good luck with the IR Tracker and DX8.2 I would bet that they will work out well, although I haven't got the equipment to say for sure.

a resounding NO! But it doesn't like my GE4 Ti4600 either. Just a whole bunch of flashing between desktop and the game. From what little I'm seeing though, I'm not missing much. Thank goodness for WinXP and the restore function. I flushed it already!David

I have to give a second opinion on that response, lest you think it's the last word. I also have a ti4600, and I've gotten CFS3 to run pretty darned well on it. In fact, I've only got slight micro-pauses here and there, but mostly it's running fine. And I love it! It all comes down to two things:1. How much time are you willing to spend getting it to work? (took me about 5 hours)2. What other components are in your system? Everyone's is different, so it's not a good policy to make blanket "this won't work for you" statements. I'm not ragging on anyone, just would hate to see someone give up before they've even tried!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Bill,I appreciate your perspective but 5 hours of tweaking a program to get it to run - perhaps at the expense of other programs like (gasp) FS2K2? I think not! I'm sure 80% of the issues will get smoothed out over time and maybe just maybe there will be a patch, but I guess I expected at least the sizeable leap MS made between FS2K and FS2K2 to apply to CFS3 and CFS2 but honestly, I think they went backwards. And the absence of TrackIR or mouse-view support is inexcusable but unless you've used TrackIR, I doubt most people will understand how impossible it is to use a sim that doesn't support it. I even took Falcon 4 off my system because I couldn't stand the feeling that my head was in a neck brace - and I LOVED Falcon 4 (well, with all the updates that is).David

Howdy David,If you like Track IR, do you have the E-Dimensional glasses for sterographic 3D? :-kewl If you don't, consider it as your next hardware add on, the immersive quality is fantastic, (once you learn how to tweak it), I will have to say though that getting the drivers, setting up, learning the system and all, is a bit of a pain, but well worth the money, time and effort involved. The glasses will like your Ti 4600! I have used the glasses for over a year now and can't get along without them. One tip though, they are good for the virtual cockpits, but not so good for the 2d cockpits. My next major hardware addition will be the Track IR, don't have it yet, but should have it before the first of the year. :)

Don,I do have the glasses - actually got them for Christmas last year with lots of heavy hints to Santa ;-) I liked them for 3rd person shooters but they didn't work well for me with FS because I use multiple monitors with 2D panels on most of the other monitors. I also never really got rid of the flickering and the darkening effect they have. I haven't used them in several months. TrackIR is a must have! You will NEVER go back. While there aren't many of us here that use it, I have never heard someone say they tried it and didn't love it. You'll never fly a model without a VC again!David

>I just fly for the fun of it. However driving a 40 ton >truck is as close as you will get to flying without actually >flying, if I may say so. Surprising how many aspects are >similar in both situations. With the exception of several thousand morons on the road that should not be on the road :-fume I just did a road test for my "A" last week. Did great except for one tiny thing: A 4 wheeler decided to run a yellow/red when I was making a left turn... and tried to squeeze in between a traffic island and my left side of the trailer. He was very suprised to find his vehicle under my trailer/wheels. Good thing I stopped, eh?Only good thing was the look on his face when the Ministry Officer came out to talk to him. Geez... and he didn't want the police involved :-bang Not my fault, got an "Out Of Order" which means now I've got to go through this process again!

Really bad luck Joseph,Sorry to hear of your bad luck. One good thing, the next road test you will know what to expect from your examiner, and it won't be quite so nerve racking. I had a student just last week taking her exam for the Class A, making a left turn on a double lane left turn, she was in the outside left turn lane just like she should, a four wheeler ran under her trailer on her left side. She stopped, no accident, but still got a failure. Not fair, but that's the way the world works sometimes. Traffic lights are a nightmare in tractor trailer examinations you never know when that light will double cross you and turn yellow. With an examiner on board that is a disaster. If the light turns yellow and you are not actually in the intersection, you have HAD IT. LOLGood luck on your next outcome.

I use two monitors also David, and haven't had any trouble with the glasses, with one exception, using FSFliteMax on the second monitor negates stero for some reason, otherwise I am able to put any or all of the several windows on the second monitor and still use stero.I might suggest if you want to try, the flickering is caused by a too low refresh rate, try a lower resolution a resolution of 85 or more does OK on my system. I get 125 hz refresh at 1024x768x32 which in stero works well for me, and is a high enough resolution to satisfie me in stero. The darkening can be sowmewhat overcome by increasing the gamma your monitor. I use a gamma of 1.30 to 1.40 and get pretty good results. I will get IR tracker in the near future.Happy day to you and yours.

>Really bad luck Joseph, >>Sorry to hear of your bad luck. One good thing, the next >road test you will know what to expect from your examiner, >and it won't be quite so nerve racking. >.>.>.>Good luck on your next outcome. Just to update, today I proudly added my ACZ to my licence (and another angel earned its wings) today :-jumpy