Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

Overcast Near The Horizon

Just wondering, but does anyone know if they ever came up with a fix for the overcast sky in FS002? It never meets the horizon - there is about an inch of blue or so above mountains and land. Thanks. :-wave

Sure, just reduce the visibility. Works everytimeRick

It can meet the horizon. The following two pics are an example. I took them from one of the FS2002 Pilot training courses. Under Learning to Fly/Intsrument/VORL.Adamson

Not quite sure that these replies work for everyone. When I bought this sim and flew for the first time, I was very disappointed with the so called overcast sky. It is just not realistic. I don't see how saying - The problem is with the maximum visibility of the sim. Since the max visibility is 150 miles, if you can see further than that when you're using the sim then that's all FS2K2 projects -is the asnwer. Maybe I am missing something. I have tried several times to get a realistic overcast sky - using real weather from Gatwick when I can clearly see overcast clouds at 1000'. But FS displays a lovely blue skyline. Even at night you get lots of lovely stars. Changing the viz has no effect what so ever, at least for me and I have tried several times. In fact I will not use the overcast setting now. How do other people overcome this? Or does it only do it for certain airports?Keith

Guest Joshieca

Hi Keith,To be honest with you I have never seen a totally overcast sky where you can still have some visibilty. If there sky is not filled with haze, fog, rain, snow, etc, then you get clouds with a blue sky on the skyline. I think that it's a limitation of the program.

>>>>>>It can meet the horizon. The following two pics are an example. I took them from one of the FS2002 Pilot training courses. Under Learning to Fly/Intsrument/VOR<<<<http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...9d503cc53ab.jpg

Hi,Yep you are probably right. But I do recall with my Old Pro Pilot 99 getting far more realistic clouds and misty bits. Pity MS couldn't have used their techniques!Keith

AH I miss Pro Pilot.. Sometime I still wish I had my Voodoo 3 :(Jason

Guest JeanLuc_

I think that what you are missing is when dealing with visibility, there are in fact 2 vis settings in FS2002:1) max visibilty for the rendering engine (meshes in the distance are clipped past this limit). Set in the display settings2) atmospheric visibility set in the weather panel.with 2), you can effectively smooth the graphics from the cloud layer to the ground with atmospheric haze.Hope this helps!

Ok folks, sounds good. But I still don't know how setting another cloud level helps make the overall cloud layer drop to the horizon? Nor do I understand how in the pictures we have the cloud at the horizon?I am off to try all these things out and see what happens.How do other people get on with this?Keith

Guest jase439

Just set your max vis to 60 mi and you'll be in great shape.

>>>>>>>>It can meet the horizon. The following two pics are an example. I took them from one of the FS2002 Pilot training courses. Under Learning to Fly/Intsrument/VOR<<<<<>>>Unless someone is suppose to read between the line on the >above reply I dont see a answer what so ever. You have to be smart enough to look at the weather settings for the example pics. At least I gave the scenario where the pics came from. It just takes a little research on ones part!L.Adamson

go to advanced weather options, select cirrus, on the graph drag it all the way down to ground level and up to 15,000 feet, you can make it light blue to white depending on level of cloud coverage.