Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 won't install to different partition (XP)!!!

Hello All!I recently built a new machine specifically for the purpose of running Flight Simulator 2002 with better frame rates. I have built many machines in the past and work as a network engineer (10 years exp) and deal daily with software issues... a little background.Here are the new specs:Windows XP Professional SP1AMD 2400+ ProcessorAsus A7V8X Motherboard - Raid/LAN/1394512mb PC3200C2 Corsair RamWD 120gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Hard DriveVisiontek Geforce 4 4200 128 Video CardSoundblaster Audigy 2 PlatinumTDK 48/16/48 CD-RWGuess what??? FS2002 won't install on anything but the C: partition! During install I select 'customize options' and attempt to select another configured drive. It won't recognize the drive as valid spewing some generalized error. The funny thing is that if I select the default path (c:program filesmicrosoft gamesfs2002) the same error appears! It will only install if you leave the default path without selecting customize. Microsoft has been no help trying to gather XP techs and FS techs alike. Anyone have any similar problems to this?I installed Combat Flight Simulator 3 to a different partition without any issues. I have reformatted the machine, tweaked the bios, repartitioned drives, tried the XP 'safe mode' (not an option, just selective drivers and services), tweaked permissions and policies, and uninstalled everything individually to isolate any programs that could be the culprit and attempted installation before and after XP SP1. Any ideas would be appreciated. I want the sim on another drive for performance and ease of administration issues, so a 'Leave it on the C:' drive isn't what I want to hear. Thanks!Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have FS2002 running on a second physical drive, with no problems, and I run XP Home with SP1. The only thing that I can think of, and its a far fetched idea, is that for some weird reason fs2002 doesnt like the logical drive you are trying to install to, are you running RAID?Like I said, this is a far fetched idea, sorry couldnt be of more help.Dave

Thanks for the response. I have had FS2002 SP1 running on my old computer without any problems. It is not using a RAID array and I have created different size partitions with different drive letters, reformatted and much much more. I can install other programs to the drive, but FS2002 will not.Dave

I had once the same problem and could not figure what the cause was. What I did at the end was installing FS on C: and moved later that directory to my D: drive. I also made sure that the registery entries pointed to that drive.The irony is that only recently I had to install FS again on the same machine and was already prepared to go through this sequence but was surprised that it accepted the D: drive from the beginning.Go figure....

Very interesting. I had hoped to avoid messing with the registry. I have a call into Microsoft, so hopefully we can avoid that method - the OS is messy enough so I would like to sidestep that possibility. Thanks for your response!Dave

I partitioned my HD 4 ways...all games sit in G:Games. FS2002 loaded no problem in there. Along with 7 other sims..... WinXP Pro.

the only things i could possible think of is FS2002 does not like installing onto a NTFS partion other than the default C: drive.That's proboly not the case but sometimes MS software get's odd like that.Another thing you might want to do is point fs2002 in the registery to the partion you want to use.By default MS has included a registery entry for FS2002 that points to the C drive as far as i remember .open regedit and search for "fs2002" you might get a few entries but if anything says C:XX ect .. just change it to drive you want.I believe that would do the trick.I myself have never installed fs on anything other than the C drive so it's hard to say what the true issue is .Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3