Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

FS Panel Studio, Should I get it?

Hey everyone. I've recently been tinkering with the idea of starting to create some panels for FS2k2. As I was browsing these forums earlier, I noticed an ad for a program called "FS Panel Studio." So, I clicked on the link, and had a look around the site. It looks like a good program, and is only $25, so I am strongly considering purchasing it.So, no onto my questions for people who've have the program or who've had some type of experience with it.1. I'm fairly new to panel design. Do you think I could use this program? (I'm pretty good with computers and various programs such as Photohsop, Powerpoint, Frontpage, etc.)2. What types of panels is the program capable of making? Is it capable of creating an airliner panel?3. Finally, is it worth the $25?Thanks. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To answer all your questions...1) Thats what it's best for! I started off knowing nothing about panel.cfg editing, now I could whip up a decent panel in notepad alone if I was commited to it. The nicest thing about FS Panel Studio is that it helps give an understanding of how it works in the .cfg file but in a visual manner. Also, it is a great way to help learn gauge editing, as that is a nifty feature they included.2) If you'd like to see examples of FSPS work, from someone about the same skill level as you, grab the C114TC package either from here at avsim or at my site, and give the panel a look. The artwork was done by Timbo, in Photoshop, but other than that its all FSPS at work. Also, my C208B panel mod was also crated in FSPS.3) Definitely. I use FSPS more as a personal tool than a tool to create things for release. I own the Flight1 C421C and I really like the GPS. I also own RealityXP, but in certain planes Apollo GPS is not appropriate, that is why I tend to swap out the GPS on those panels for the C421C Garmin unit, and it works as a functional substitute. I also use to to make modifications that are for personal preference, I find that in freeware panels I tend to swap out some default gauges for ones that were included with payware panels I own. The end result is that I end up with my own, personal, customized panels that suit me, and it usually takes me about 5 minutes.Hope that helps, good luck making a decision for the purchase.Scott

I use it frequently to modify panels in freeware and some payware GA aircraft. Some of the non-default guages and instruments that come with these add-ons are much better than those supplied with FS2K.By swapping instruments/guages among aircraft but keeping it somewhat realistic, legibility and visualization, as well as operation, can be improved. I frequently get rid of the FS2K2 GPS and replace it with others that came with the various add-ons. I've managed to rearrange the avionics stacks with equipment swaps or whatever, maybe some minor sizing, to make room for the GPS so I do not necessarily need to pop open a seperate floating window.FSPS ties in with a your bitmap editor and does bmp format conversions to allow the bitmap editing of guages which I use to improve legibility on my 19" CRT at 1024. The latest versions are supposed to work with XML cab compressed files and in most cases appears to function. I got the boxed version and have downloaded one update.The manual is .pdf on the CD.I have definitely found it a very worthwile utility.