Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Win XP Upgrade- who's had issues in a clean install?

I'm building a new system, and tonight attempted to load WinXP (Home Upgrade edition) onto C:, and just insert a Win98 CD when it looked for another OS to update- which it did OK. However, the install hung in the phase where hardware detection takes place, and of course the OS is not intelligent enough to tell you what's hapening at that point. Does this sound familiar to anyone?I've since installed Win98 on C:, with no issues, and plan tomorrow evening to install WinXP onto another partition, using the multi-boot option with XP. Thanks, I'll be done one day! Every day 2 steps forward and 1 back, but that's the fun of doing your own build :)Bruce.

Hi BruceInstalling OS's is one thing I've done far too many times I'd care to mention. All I can say is, sometimes they go wrong. I even had it go wrong twice in a row once. :-)I would suggest giving it another try.SteveCYYZ

Thanks Steve,That was my next move, to try it again tonight. I've loaded XP onto this system, but in that case Win98 already existed (as it does now in my new system).Something that surpised me with letting the XP install see the Win98 CD, was that it never asked for the Win98 authenticity code, nor the XP code either (although that may occur later, beyond where my install hung).Thanks- now twice in a row must be a bummer to have an OS install fail :)Bruce.

Guest DNelson

I've not had to deal with this in XP, but with earlier versions of Windows 9x, you could sometimes find a text file in the root directory of your Windows installation that might provide a clue. As I recall the file could be called something like bootlog.txt, hwdetect.txt, or something like that. (I'm probably completely wrong on the file names, but you should be able to tell from the date stamps which log files were created during the installation.) Anyway, the last entry in these log files sometimes provides a clue as to what the installer was trying to do when it went up in flames.Dan

Thanks Dan,I'll try that of the installer hangs again. The trials of building one's own system! :)Bruce.

Bruce,If Windows wont install, remove hardware, and try, try again. No joke!If your having issues with a CLEAN install, remove as many of the PCI/ISA cards as possible and start over. Check specific forums or FAQ's for your systemboard on what to look out for when installing XP. Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO if it's set to YES. See if a BIOS update has any specific release notes pertaining to XP....etc, etc.Make sure that once your able to complete your installation and 'Activation', that you can boot your system several times with no problem. Make sure you have the latest (or best suited) video driver set for your card. In a nutshell, get the basics humming first, then and only then, add your other cards (modem, sound, etc) ONE AT A TIME. Each card should be added, driver installation followed by the book, as outlined by the manufacturer, then followed up with a reboot and tested. It's better to find a potential problem NOW then to deal with it later, after your system is all buttoned up and stuffed under your desk.Best of luck...