Sign in to follow this  

Advice on video upgrade please

I am running FS2002 on an Intel PIII 733 MHz system with 256MB and Intel 810e graphics chipset. The video RAM with this setup is only 10M so underspec for FS2002. The system works and I'm enjoying FS2002 but I reckon a cheap and cost effective upgrade would be to buy a separate video card and so get smoother simulation. I also reckon that there's probably no point me paying top price for the latest generation cards. Unfortunately I have only PCI slots - no AGP slots - which restricts my choice. Is my reasoning sound? If it is, which video card(s) might best suit my requirements? I'd appreciate any advice or pointers to relevant reviews.Thanks, John.4m NW of EGHI.

Forogt to mention that I'm running Windows ME.John.4m NW of EGHI.

Guest SD Sim

I will second that. I have an MX400 PCI card and it runs FS2K2 very nicely.

John, David:Thanks for the positive advice. Creative's 3D Blaster GeForce 2 MX PCI seems to match and is readily available (not much PCI around now - most need an AGP slot).Cheers, John.4m NW of EGHI (Southampton UK)FS2002 on Intel PIII 733 MHz, 256MB with Intel 810e graphics and Windows ME.

Unfortunately Visiontek don't seem to be readily available in the UK.Over the weekend I bought a Creative PCI 32 M GeForce2MX card and am very pleased - almost doubled my frame rates and, which I hadn't expected, I think the clarity is better - a crisper display.It took me a couple of hours of iterations on the settings to get it configured so that FS2002 didn't force a display reset each time it started. It seemed as though FS wanted to run at 100Hz refresh and my monitor preferred 75Hz. Now got it working but not really sure what the key step was. What is the best method/sequence to get the setup correct for the graphics card, display driver and FS2002?Many thanks for the advice, John.4m NW of EGHI (Southampton UK)FS2002 on Intel PIII 733 MHz, 256MB with 32M GeForce2MX graphics and Windows ME.