Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grey_Wolf

Networking

Guest Grey_Wolf

how to?Computer #1 a win2000 pc will connect through the network for multi player just fine.same with computer #2 a winXP machine. Both wont connect at the same time.I can host a internet game on computer #1 that computer #2 can connect to. But if I host on computer #2 XP gets all confused and freezes.We are Two seperate FS pilots both trying to connect to bushnet. We also have the same problems with other direct3d/MS games so I'm thinking its something not possible for MS titles to do. I hope I'm wrong.I have yet to try to connect with one through the DSL modem and the other through a dial up connection. But I didnt pay for a router and DSL to do things that way.Thanks in advanceHaving FunGrey_Wolf

I'm a little confused by your explanation! Are you talking about two of your computers that you have set up in a LAN situation? If so, what components do you have? Here is how I am setup:Cable/DSL modem -- Router/4portSwitch (wire/wireless) -- ComputersI have all wired NICs between computers, three are WinXP based, two Win98SE based. I have TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and NETBIOS protocols with NetBIOS over IPX/SPX enabled.I usually use IPX/SPX when using Multiplayer for internal LAN. I have not used TCP/IP to the outside world.

Guest Grey_Wolf

Sure, I'll help clairify.ADSL/Cable modem (cisco 675) --> Linksys NR041 Router , Computer 1 and computer 2 connect to the router (no hub) computer 2 winXP is in the DMZ in the router settings since I cant share ports with 2 computers. Computer 1 connects through the router normally, Port triggering has allowed it to connect to the internet properly."I have all wired NICs between computers, three are WinXP based, two Win98SE based. I have TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and NETBIOS protocols with NetBIOS over IPX/SPX enabled."your kinda loosing me in tecno babble here... The win2000 computer is using a pci NIC, the XP computer has a NIC built in to the motherboard. I admit to being basically lost at this point. Do I need to open ports for the PC in the DMZ?

If you want both computers to access the outside world,in the manner your using such as a game server. Then both need to be in the DMZ. Unless you want to get into opening ports in the routerAllen

My router can spoof an IP address to the modem if required by the ISP. However, since that address is used, the router should assign different IP addresses to each computer on the internal LAN. When a computer sends a request to the internet, the router translates the IP address to the one expected by the ISP. When the data are received back from the internet, the router again translates the IP address and sends the data to the correct computer.I am assuming this is what the linksys DMZ is doing. I briefly looked at their website at its explanation, so I don't know if your router has the same capabilities as mine.BTW, I couldn't find a linksys router NRO41 (NR041) at Linksys so I could review the specifications.