Sign in to follow this  
Guest Coneman

$100 to burn

Guest Coneman

Given my specs below, what would be the best thing for me to do? I'm rethinking this and am wondering if I shouldn't go with some DDR ram. It might solve an issue I'm having with FS. Any thoughts?Thanks,Todd

I would go with some DDR Ram, SDRAM is probably bottlenecking your system.

Depends on the issue you're having, but, if it were me, I'd dump WinME and go for WinXP Home. That will solve a lot of issues :-) .Doug I just saw your other post below. If you have the ME install disk by all means do not buy the full version of WinXP. The only difference between the Full and Upgrade version is the installer. As long as you own a qualifying prior version (like ME) you do not need the full version. The XP system is identical in both cases. When you do the install just select the format/new-install option (ignoring the recommendation to upgrade the existing installation) and, when asked, insert the ME CD to show proof of ownership of the prior version.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Coneman

Thanks guys. I probably need to do both, but one at a time right now. Since the issue is sound corruption at peak loads (tried a sound card, no difference), I'm thinking it might be RAM. On the other hand, it could be an IRQ conflict and as I understand it XP does a better job of assigning them.Todd

Guest Coneman

One more question regarding the RAM. My mobo says it can take DDR 200 or 266. Does that mean 2100 or 2700? And I would assume 2700 is better?Thanks,Todd

266 MHz requires PC2100 memory, 200 MHz requires PC1600..Since the price difference is so small, you may as well go with PC2700 memory and have a little room to overclock... you could go as high as 333 MHz without exceeding the PC2700 spec.

Bert