Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Help with 9800 Pro Install- please....

I un-installed my old GEForce 3 card in Add/Remove Programs today, then ran Driver Cleaner (Det Destroyer didn't seem to like XP).The driver installs to my nrw 9800 Pro card failed, telling me that it could not see the card, and to go back and install the VGA driver first. DM showed my new card (twice, it's a double head card) under the category "Other Devices" , there was no Video Adaptor device category.ATI support told me that running the third party app (Driver Cleaner) had erased the files that relate to the basic Vidoe Adaptor in DM, and that they were required for the driver install. I've since re-installed the G3, and run System Restore, and all is back with the old category "Video Adaptor" now appearing in DM. ATI support said to NOR run the third party app. What gives here? Any advice? Does XP not need to clean the old Det drivers?Any help most appreciated, I'm now really confused!Thanks, Bruce.

Hi, Bruce.Try to:1- >Control Panel>Add or Remove.. and remove the Nvidia driver, then install the ATI.2- >Display>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>Properties>Uninstall and you should remain with a standard Vga driver, then install the ATI.You should be able to Restore, if needed, just make sure you do it one step at the time. Later you can go into the Registry and remove any Nvidia related, if left. I am not sure why you get the "it could not see the card" error, make sure you have the card connected properly, sometime the AGP slot can be a problem. Post here if you need more info. There are other ways, "Safe mode" etc.TV

Thanks, I'll try what you suggest, and pay attention to the AGP card slot too- the ATI card came back out really easily (I have to pull the G3 like pulling teeth).Thanks,Bruce.

Hi again,I had restored to a former restore point last night and tried your above procedure this morning. However, the same problem continues to exist. I recall that I ran Driver Cleaner some 6 months ago while changing video (Det) drivers, and assume that the damage was done then, and I don't have a restore point going back that far. I'm considering re-installing WinXP on another partition. I already have Win98 on another bootable partition (but never use it), and have noted that I can install the standard VGA video adaptor OK on that using my new 9800 Pro card. If I'm understanding the ATI tech OK, using 3rd party apps to remove drivers does remove also the VGA device in XP. Although the G3 card does not appear to care, the ATI card needs to see that entry in DM to install drivers to.You did mention "other methods", so any more suggestions most welcome. I will be leaving this instance of XP alone, so can always come back to it later if I can find a way around this issue.Thanks for any help,Bruce.

Guest Bigshot

You should go over to www.rage3d.com radeon driver forums. There's a zillion ways of installing drivers. Drives me nuts; but those guys now what they're doing as far as I can tell. I'll be updating my 9700 Pro drivers to DX9 drivers after I install FS2k4 since mine are old DX8 ones. I think I'm gonna use the newest omega drivers from www.driverheaven.net since they've already been tweaked out and they install right over the top of the existing Cat drivers. Just need to uninstall the control panel first and then it's a one step run the exe and reboot and your done type thing. New Control panel installs with em'.

HI TV,Thanks- I tried just that and it does work (actually a guy over at rage3d.com gave me almost the exact same advice :). Thanks again for your help, after I pointed the installer to the unpackaged location it worked. I did run into the protection error too, but ran PnPreg (from MS) which fixed it.Thanks again- and what an awesome card, to think what I've been missing!! :)Bruce.PS. Much appreciate all your help.

Thanks for the advice- I did go to rage3d, and got the advice which got the card going (almost identical to Avcomware's advice).Thanks, this card is really awesome, thinks for your help, much appreciated.Bruce.

Hi, Bruce.I am glad you are able to make use of your hardware. I think eventually all problems can be solved, it's just a matter of how much effort you want to put into it, and how important it is to you. TV

Hi TV,Thanks again.I do have another question, however. I installed the drivers by referring the installer to the location where they were unpacked (the latest ones from ATI). Using this manual method, and bypassing the setup.exe, the control panel didn't get installed. When I go to the folder containing the control panel files, there's no installer (setup.exe) present (there is a setup.inx file). How do I install the control panel as a seperate install?Thanks (nearly there!). I might post this as a seperate thread too.Bruce.