Sign in to follow this  
Guest B52Drivr

1 Gig ram fro 98SE

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Does anyone know how to put 1 Gig ram into a system controlled by 98SE? I've tried all the usual solutions like:MaxFileCache=523288, andMaxPhysPage=40000, andConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 to no avail, the system, at best just locks up.Any more ideas? I think I've read all the available info on doing so, but I could have missed something . . .any help?Thanks in advance,Clayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

It could be a MOBO or powersupply limitation. My Soyo Dragon+ has problems with anything over 512MB. The Soyo forums were rift with this problem. Some boards are more tolerant then others, plus the quality of the memory and the powersupply is key.W. Sieffert

Guest B52Drivr

W.S.The MB is a Asus P4B266 and the ram is the new kingston pc3200 matched, two matched dimms. Again, I have tried to use all the hints from the Memory site which gave those suggestings, to no avail, any more ideas?Thanks,Clay

Guest B52Drivr

W.S.forgot, and its a 480 watt power supply . . . I try to do things right...LOLClay

Nope! You really don't need more than 512MBs unless you are using some high end CADCAM software. MSFS isn't going to use anything above 512MB, usually much less.W. Sieffert

Guest Bill Kunert

Major,Have you checked the Microsoft web site. Seems I remember problems with 98 trying to use more than 512 meg of ram 'cause 98 won't use more than 512 meg. Try XP. It's great-doesn't load up with trash like 98 does. My XP installation is 2 years old and it runs as fast as the day I originally installed it.RegardsBill102A and 101B radar '59-'67

I've been able to squeeze 640mb into my WIN98 SE - based rig but no more: freezes the computer, like you say. But I think I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to XP Home in the next few days.http://southwest.corpmerchandise.com/image...l/200015138.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest White Hawk

It's pretty well known that Win98SE and below has a RAM limit of 512 Meg, even if you can get it stable it may never use any more than that, you can fiddle with a system file to make it use a bit more as I see you have, but if I remember right it may become unstable doing that as I see you have noticed.So your only/best choice is to buy Win XP upgrade, XP has either a 4 Gig limit or no limit at all, not quite sure.XP is not bad as people give the inpression, it uses more RAM, about 100 Meg instead of about 70-80 Meg if I remember correctly depending on what you have in the background but as you have 1 Gig that difference is very small, and its a far better OS than 98SE which is what I went from.

Guest _patrol_

HiThe reason for the 512MB limit in Win98 is that VCache can't handle more than that, but will try to if you install more than 512MB. A solution is to download and install MemMAX v1.1; this is the free version. Click on VCache tab and set MaxFile to well below 512MB and MinFile to less than that. It can be worthwile to experiment with these settings as some programs run better with a large VCache and some with smaller, just don't excede 512. I've done this for years on a number of machines and never had a stability problem. By the way, VCache is like a disk drive in ram, not to be confused with Virtual Memory, which is just the opposite. Hope this helps.DavidOops, I forgot to mention, this will let you use your 1 Gig RAM.