Not a hardware expert, but I think my fan maybe going bad on the CPU. Been making some funny louder noises recently. I have a Gateway P4 423 pin CPU. I spoke to Gateway and they told me there isnt a fan for the CPU and the entire CPU has to be changed. The sales rep tried hard to sell me a new system and thats when I really got suspicious. I cannot afford a new system or motherboard etc. at this time, and having looked at the fan it looks like a part that can be changed or maybe even taken off and cleaned.Any experts here that have done it and can recommend a reputable place to get a fan with good install instructions?I would really appreciate it.ThanksBill

ANY smaller computer shop in your area should sell CPU fans and cooling devices... even places like CompUSA have a few.DELL might design their cases/cooling a little different, but I too would be VERY suspicious if they said it was all in one and needed a full replacement. Not only suspicious, I'd feel quite misled and disappointed in their tactic - should it prove to be false. I've never heard of a CPU/Fan combo that was perminantly attached.Of course, breaking the seal on your case may constitute a voiding of the warranty, so keep that in mind if you're still covered. -Greg

Thanks Greg. The warranty expired a while back. The unit is two years old this week :-)I will check at CompUsa there is one close by. I will certainly remember Gateway if they fed me a BS line. Stuff like that really makes it more inviting for us to build our own, and I may just try that.ThanksBill

Guest Stratus_Fractus

You're probably looking at an 80mm fan, and if you can get the other one off to replace it, I would suggest a Panaflo fan. Runs quite quietly and pushes a fair bit of air, and it's not priced badly.