Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmfisher

Upgrade XP or go Skt 939?

Guest cmfisher

Everyone,Looking for an opinion here. I'm currently running a Athlon XP 2500+ (not overclocked) that has pretty much all the bells and whistles in the system (512MB ram, good cooling, SATA, DVD-RW, etc). I just purchased a GeForce 6800 (standard version) and I think I'm processor limited with it.My question is, do you think I would get a larger performance upgrade going with a socket 939 Athlon 64 3200 (which would require a new processor, MB, and cooling for about $300) or would I see the same performance increase just going with an XP 3200+ (for about $170).The reason I ask is that the "model" numbers (3200+) are the same and if I'm not going to get a cost-effective boost with the 64 (different memory control, internal FSB, etc) I'm just going to go with the XP.What do you think?Thanks for the help,Chris

I would look at it in long terms. Most software applications/games are written with 32bit capability not 64bit. How does the 64bit Windows handle 32bit software? Probably like 32bit Windows handles 16bit software. How fast will application developers support the new 64bit, probably over 3-5yrs since there are a lot of 32bit systems in general use globally.There will probably been performance gains if the CPU, RAM is tuned but will it be enough to see any real gains in the flight simulator remains to be seen. A lot of the flight simulator is limited to the IRQ and internal clock limitations of Windows.W. Sieffert

This one is easy ... the 939 is the way to go.New and faster ChipsetDual Channel capablenew Processor64bit capableCapable for upgrades down the roadThis shouldnt even come up as a question lol :)

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Guest kilo_sierra17

My big question is, are you not running XP now? If you are not then your loosing out big time, going to XP with that system will be a huge improvement, yes going to S939 would be good, but get XP first.

Guest SoarPics

Hi Chris,The "model" numbers AMD uses are their rated equivalents to Intel P4 speeds.The XP 2500 you now have has a solid reputation as being a great overclocker. With good air cooling and quality fast RAM coupled with a good motherboard they routinely go to 3000 and even 3200 speeds.You might be better off investing a few $ in top quality aftermarket cooling for your present system and then overclocking as much as possible while waiting for more AMD Winchester CPU's to come to market as well as more choices in 939 socket motherboards. If you lack good quality fast RAM now you should consider buying it for your present system, and then you'll already have it when you do upgrade (PC3700 or even PC4000 would be a good choice).Greg

The Athlon XP & 64 are not the same processor clock for clock.The 64 is an all around improved part & the 939 pin socket should be sticking around for a while which lends to some future upgradeability.As for gaming performance...well let's just say its common knowledge that the Athlon 64 run's all over the equivelent speed Intel P4. This can't be said for the Athlon XP.I had an Athlon XP 2800+ (overclocked to 3400+ speed) & I can honestly say that my new Athlon 64 3500+ @ stock setting's is a faster more robust beast. W/ FS9 it isn't that I notice improved framerates so much as the sim just runs alot smooter for that given framerate. Now that I've added a new video card, some high quality PC3700 RAM & cranked up the settings a little, this system just flies!