Sign in to follow this  
jfri

The advantage of TFT over CRT

After looking at some flat screen TFT displays my impression is that the only significant advantage for these screens are that they are smaller and consumes less power.But the picture quality is not significantly better than a CRT. And then I also mean when reading text.Do you agree? Opinions from owners of both TFT and CRT owners wanted?What would you choose (I assume 19" TFT is to be compared with 21" CRT)A 19" fast TFT orA 21" CRTI have seen this at the same price.

Hi, for what it is worth I did a fair bit of research on this very subject back around October last year (2004) If you look back through you should see my post.After considering all aspects I went for a 19" CRT(21" would have been better but I don't have the physical space in my office) Specifically, the LG Flatron ez T910BU - this is a completely flat screen and is excellent for Flight Sim purposes - it's main use, but is also very good for text home office use etc.It is physically larger than TFT screens but my research led me to the conclusion that TFT are not really upto the quality levels of the older technology (Cathode Ray Tube) just yet - at least for the graphics etc. I am sure there are many Flight sim users out there who would argue this of course - but I researched it well, being rather non technical on the computer front.There were a number of issues that finally helped me decide - particularly the issue of flexibility in the resolution available to the CRT as against the TFT. Apparently TFT mostly have a much narrower range of resolutions that can be used for Flight Sim - whilst still using a reasonable refresh rate.Some TFT's could only be used in one resolution. Where TFT units did have any flexibility in the resolution area, the non-default resolution of the TFT often gave poor quality graphics.Also of importance (to me) was the fact that not all TFT's could be viewed other than directly in front of their screens. Apparently many give poor quality display when viewed fron one side or above etc. In my home office I sometimes want to view the screen from the desk next to mine where I do some jobs but refer to the sceen about 6 feet away. There was also the issue of "missing pixels" which is an occurence I understand with the TFT where, even from new, some have discrepancies on screens!! I only heard about this from people selling the things and apparently, "its quite normal" and "not very noticeable at all " - as the screens age this happens further I understand. In any event - these are some of the things I found during my research - Before I close, the last thing that impressed me; from several people I spoke to, who advised - "if you buy TFT - DON'T buy a CHEAP one!! Whereas CRT technology is well tried and tested -whereby even the cheapies work and last well - this cannot be said for the newer technology!"Hope this helps a little . Regards BlueP.S. I did have a couple of TFT screens actually demonstrated at local computer outlets - two of them with FS9 as the demo program. CRT won for me here also:-)

>Hi, for what it is worth I did a fair bit of research on this>very subject back around October last year (2004) If you look>back through you should see my post.>>After considering all aspects I went for a 19" CRT(21" would>have been better but I don't have the physical space in my>office) Specifically, the LG Flatron ez T910BU - this is a>completely flat screen and is excellent for Flight Sim>Before I close, the last thing that impressed me; from several>people I spoke to, who advised - "if you buy TFT - DON'T buy a>CHEAP one!! Whereas CRT technology is well tried and tested>-whereby even the cheapies work and last well - this cannot be>said for the newer technology!">That was interesting. This means that if you should buy a TFT it should be rather expensive.

I suppose that's dependant upon how you understand my post. When I was given that advice I took it as a small part of all the information I'd gathered, and balanced it to come to my conclusion. :-) My main aim was to get the best performance screen to enable my system to give the best display - when I set out to research it I didn't have and preference - just that criteria. Regards Blue