Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

My third? post about punctuation

I have been reading Avsim for ten years or more, and it *always* rankles me when the apostrophe is mis-used on the main page or in reviews. I know I'm anal about this, but - aren't y'all journalists? Aren't journalists expected to be able to use the English language properly? (Disclaimer: I can't, because I was raised in West Virginia... That's my story etc. etc.)I am by no means a journalist or an English major (my field was engineering) but it distresses me to see a popular site perpetuate all-too-common grammatical and punctuation errors. IMO it's killing our language, softly (anyone here old enough to remember that song?).E.g.: "Flight Illusion is proud to present it's latest addition"...etc.I see this all the time on Avsim, and about every five occurances I get annoyed enough to post about it 8^) .thanks,Dave Blevins

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are we journalists? No. Everyone on the AVSIM staff is a volunteer. We all have other things to get done in our lives (except me, or so it seems). That, and not everyone who works for AVSIM has English as their first language. Of course, AVSIM is always on the sharp look-out for new talent, especially people who know their way around a comma. Engineers in particular come in handy when it comes time to cut through all of that technical data that surrounds our favourite hobby. If you give the Reviews Editor or the News Editor an e-mail, they can get you up to speed on how to do things the AVSIM way. I am sure the rulebook on how to write with apostophes is just delayed in the mail. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerASVIM