Sign in to follow this  
brucek

1024 Cylinder Limit for HD and bootability.

I'm using Partition magic to re-size my C: drive, and getting a warning that I have crossed the 1024 cylinder linit and that the nachine may not boot. Is this a function of OS, HD, motherboard, BIOS or something else?I have not changed my partition due to the error, and wanted to ask here first.I'm running XP home on an A8N (Asus) motherbard, AMD 3700+, 1GB RAM, ad running some older HD's with IDE interfaces.Thanks for any advice, my copy of PM is a few versions old, so this may be some DOS-related ting.Bruce.

Hi Bruce No it's not DOS related.The message is correct and still applies,so ignore it at your peril. LOLNT based OS'es such as XP will not permit the system drive to br positioned higher than 1024 physical cylinders up the drive.Also note Some drive translation software may fool your system into allowing installation of larger disk than your BIOS can support.The above error message still applies,as it's the physical cylinder that matters.What are you trying to achieve ?Info required.HTHPaulhttp://www.fs-odg.com/resources/images/log..._sig_500x94.jpg

Hi Paul,Thaks for your reply. I'm just trying to increase the size of C: as I'm running short of HD space on it. Maybe I need to un-install and then re-install some apps onto other partitions, instead of increasing the size of C:.I do have my swap file on another partition so that's not a factor. Although I do have about 1GB free on C:, I was attempting to install an FS add-on the other day that (by default and I can't see how to change it) extracts to C: before installing to FS (which is also on another HD partition). So, I got the message that C: was full and the extraction process was aborting, which gave me a simple thought "I'll increase the size of C:".Thanks for your timely advice and caution. This C: partition is only several weeks old, so there's not tons of accumulated junk on temp folders etc., but BEV is on C: which I think may be a part of the issue.Bruce.