Sign in to follow this  
kaydub

How does X1950Pro compare to 7950GT?

To those who have an opinion, what do you think? I'm talking at 1600X1200 in FS9. Tom's says no contest in FSX.Thanks,K

Guest baksteen33

Hi Kay, my take is they're on par more or less. However - there always is a however :-) - GPU memory frequencies should be weighed in the equation. If the Radeon is 550-600MHz and the Geforce is 450, it's maybe a no brainer why one card would perform better than the other? Be careful and make sure you don't get a ca 450MHz GF7950 if you go Geforce. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

>Hi Kay, my take is they're on par more or less. >>However - there always is a however :-) - GPU memory>frequencies should be weighed in the equation. If the Radeon>is 550-600MHz and the Geforce is 450, it's maybe a no brainer>why one card would perform better than the other? Be careful>and make sure you don't get a ca 450MHz GF7950 if you go>Geforce. >>Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards >>Jaap OK. I was wondering how the 7950 could be so superior. If I can find a high clock speed 7950, I will grab it.Thanks,Kay

Guest baksteen33

Hi Kay, EVGA has a couple of 'superclocked' models AFAIK. Personally, I just can't be bothered with Nvidia at the moment, their driver support is catastrophic. Despite some rendering issues with Radeons (perhaps check the last couple of posts in the 'Antialiasing-thread'?), it's nice to know there are monthly driver updates. A GF8800/320MB would be a good choice too for FS9. Kind regards Jaap

>Hi Kay, EVGA has a couple of 'superclocked' models AFAIK. >>Personally, I just can't be bothered with Nvidia at the>moment, their driver support is catastrophic. Despite some>rendering issues with Radeons (perhaps check the last couple>of posts in the 'Antialiasing-thread'?), it's nice to know>there are monthly driver updates. >>A GF8800/320MB would be a good choice too for FS9. >>Kind regards >>Jaap Thanks Jaap. I had to choose between a 256mb BFG retail unit and a 512mb EVGA oem for $20 less or the 1950 Pro. I went the OEM route and it screams compared to my 6800GT. I'll mess with the drivers like everyone else does. I'll let you know what happens.Kay

Hi Jaap:Well, after about two weeks of fooling around with the 7950, I started fretting a little about the fact that it is an OEM and even though I got a great deal, my vendor said bring it back within 15 days and he will take it back, because so many people will buy it. So I did and picked up a 1950 Pro. The image is beautiful and all, but now I'm lusting after a 8800GTS. I know you initially said it was vicious overkill, what has you leaning towards it now? Kay