Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnegg

External HDD & Backing up ?

Guest johnegg

Hi, could somebody spare the time to explain my question, simple language please !!Now that external drives are relatively cheap I would like to get one to back up my FS9.1 installation.What software do you recommend for this task and is it possible to easily reinstall from the external HDD to the onboard one ?I have many payware add ons and when I bought a new PC it was very time consuming and difficult to load them all and the updates, codes etc and I really dont fancy having to do that again should disaster strike.Any thoughts and explanations greatfully recieved.Regards JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Unfortunately for you, I think there is no other possibility to save "everything", except if you make an image of the windows drive and your FS9 drive.Good tool I know of is Norton Ghost.It saves the whole partition into a single file, and you can recover it the same way.Saving FS9 folder only will save you only your settings, files and sceneries/aircraft.But it will not save probably many of your registration codes you have for many addons. Many save into registry.That is why you need also to backup windows (or at least save your username data and the usual Flight1 folder manually).