Sign in to follow this  
misgav

new pc -hard drive data transfer

I'm getting a new pc soon. The store will install windows XP Home that I got for my old system.They will transfer all data from my old hd to the new hd.Question is- what happens to fs9 and the tons of addons. Is the transfer going to move fs as is, or will I have to reinstall everything from scratch?Eytan Ornstein800MHZ/2.13CORE2DUO/S775S775/945G/D2/V/L/SA2/SB Motherboard512M/DDR2160G/7200/8M/SATAII hdGeForce 8600GT 256MBSamsung 931BF 19" monitor

Guest wayupthere

Hi Eytan,If they are installing Windows fresh, you will need to take a deep breath, get a lot of coffee and snacks, and be prepared for a sit-down marathon re-installing the lot since the registry will be clean and will not contain the necessary FS entries.

Guest pclark36

There is actually a program out there called Acropis migrate...at least that's what I think it is called. I'll check when I get home from work. If you pull the HD from your old machine, you can literally ghost it over to the new HD on the new machine, and you don't lose any registry or any of that. You just have to install drivers for all the new hardware..Just my 2 centsPatrick ClarkAnchorage, Alaska, USAhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/1900driver.jpg

What you can also do is rename the FS directory to something like FS_old and then when your computer comes back you can make a clean install of FS and your payware addons but then copy over alot of stuff like aircraft, gauges, effects, scenery folders (you might need to rebuild the library), AI traffic, textures etc etc... This way you get a clean install of windows and your sim but save a lot of "tweaking" time.Geoff

> but then>copy over a lot of stuff like Which order? copy the old over the new?Eytan

Guest wayupthere

Hi Patrick,Yes its from Acronis, problem is though its not always 100% reliable..In some cases you could end up in a messed up system. Just my 2yen.

Ahhh, the answer about snacks and coffee and lots of patience reminds me on my reinstalls. I don't do it *that* often, but let's say, it does happen every two years or so (due to new system usually).For everything, and I have many addons in FS and many audio programs including virtual instruments and all those settings. I usually port the registry (ntuser.dat), but that doesn't save me from installing all programs (incl. addons and the rest).It's pain, it takes usually two full days here, and gives me over 150 installed programs. But I have all prepared on my external drive...