Sign in to follow this  
Alpha742

Upgrading AGP graphics card?

I know I know, its been asked many a time. I'll admit though, I have been reading allot of the posts on this subject and find them sometimes conflicting. So here goes!I have a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 ultra mobo (3.06ghz), 1024mb PC2700, 160gb, and an ATI 9700 128. I run my resolution at 1024x768.Basically I would like to get more fluidity in the sim. It runs well but would like that little bit extra. I really do not want to upgrade for a while yet, so would upgrading my 9700 to an XFX GeForce 7600GT (AGP4) or equivalent give me that. Some posts I have seen have said you will get some improvement, but others say you need to change the CPU to get the improvement, and that changing the card will not give you what you need.So any info would be most welcome. Just not sure if its worth investing in a new card, or maybe some extra memory. Many thanks and regards to all - (Forgot to say I'm running FS2004 only, will not be using FSX)Adam:-beerchug

Hi Adam,All I can tell you is my experience in this: The change from a 6800GT 256Mb AGP card to the 7900GS 512Mb provided the single largest improvement in performance of FS9 that I have ever seen. More than changing RAM 512Mb -> 2Gb and more than overclocking my CPU from 2.4GHz -> 3.0GHz (but only just). In my opinion, if you are staying with FS9 for the forseeable future (as I am) then you will certainly be able to get great performance from an AGP machine.Cheers,Geoff

Hi Geoff,Thanks for your comments. I think I shall go ahead with this upgrade. It seems like most of the comments from people who purchase these cards say it improves there game performance, but we all know what a different kettle of fish FS is. So am always more hesitant, but am glad to hear of your experience.Again thanks for your imput!RegardsAdam