Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB enough for flightsimming?

Hello guys,I'm figuring out what graphic board I need for my new system.Actually, I want to spend around 800

Guest glen.lewis

You should be fine. I used to get around 25 Fps in FS when I had that card. Now I'm using a 8800 and get around 36 when everything is maxed out.G. Lewis

Thanks for your reply!You mean 25 FPS with highest settings?Sounds really good to me.With my actual card I get 15-17 fps max at airports and while approaching an airport, and around 25 in the air.But often I have only 7 or even less with detailed scenery.I'm using the default moderate settings.No wonder with my Radeon 9500 Pro series ;)Should be at least 3 years old by now...Regards,Marius%38%300driver.jpg

Guest wayupthere

One KEY-point is missing to give accurate advice, and thats the resolution.. Resolution + GPU ALWAYS go together.One can have 25FPS in 1280x1024, but don't expect that with HI eye candy and high resolutions.In short, in order to give acurate advice, what resolution will/are you going to run the 8600.Regards,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.I plan to fly with 1280x960x12 or lower, if necessary.How many frames can I expect in case I use high-detail settings with this resolution?Regards,Marius%38%300driver.jpg

Guest baksteen33

Hi Marius, should be ok for FS9 at that resolution. For FSX I would take a GPU with more RAM. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

Thanks for your reply,Fs-x indeed needs a lot of graphic power...That's why I started thinking about saving the money a little longer and then buying a machine including a 8800GTS.Seems more useful to me.Regards,Marius

Guest sunbear

>Thanks for your reply,>>Fs-x indeed needs a lot of graphic power...>That's why I started thinking about saving the money a little>longer and then buying a machine including a 8800GTS.>Seems more useful to me.>>Regards,>MariusLook at the 8800GT which just came out. It's in the range of $250-290 or wait until the end of the month for the much heralded H3800 ATI card that will support direct 10.1 and will also be in the same price range.Regards,jack

Hello jack,that seems to be a good price, really.In these day I just keep my eyes focused on graphic boards...I'm gonna have a new system in 2 months or so ;)If everything goes well and I'm satisfied.I just talked to a friend of mine who recently purchased the 8800GTS - he is in love with it, even though his machine grows older and older...His opinion about it and your answers convinced to keep waiting... I think this is the best way to take, and I'll be happy afterwards for sure ;)Regards,Marius

Guest baksteen33

Hi Marius, you probably have an AGP and no PCI-e slot. With a 128MB(?) 128-bit Radeon 9500, turn off the clouds in FS9 and they do fairly well upto 1280x. FSX is a different ballpark and 128MB wouldn't take you very far. Unless you can live with 256x and maybe even lower texture sizes ('Global Texture Quality' slider)? Case you have a 3GHZ P4 and 2GB RAM, a GPU swap alone should make a nice quaint difference in FSX. If you want more advise, you'd ideally be more specific about your software and goals. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards JaapEdit, PS, I wonder whether waiting is always the right strategy? If a CPU is 3 generations behind, the differences are very noticeable. Case you don't overclock (for example), the differences between a E6600 and AMD64-6000 are marginal. There's a well oiled marketing machine running... ;-) You don't need the latest and the greatest to enjoy FSX. If you don't need a monitor and OS, 1000 Euro will take you a very long way.

Hi Jaap,thanks for your answer, I'll give a try...I don't need an OS (gonna use XP again) or a montior, my actual one is pretty good.But I have to say I'm not really experienced with overclocking. I'll have a look at it.What I eagerly want to get is-Core 2 duo processor-NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB (maybe GT, but can't find any information about that card right now in Germany tough...)-2GB Ram, with space for additional 2GBI think that's pretty good.Regards,Marius

Guest baksteen33

Hi Marius, Alternate.de is a very good, reliable source. Without knowing certain preferences, it's hard to advise. Dense areas and the Bush make a big difference. FWIW, I would plug 4GB (2x2GB) in new boxes - RAM is relatively cheap and compatibility will be an increasing problem. Kind regards Jaap

Thank you very much for the link, Jaap.The given site really offers extraordinary systems for almost unbeatable prices!Seems to be a good place for ordering a new PC.I think my local dealer is kind of overpriced...Regards,Marius

Guest baksteen33

Hi Marius, Indeed a great shop. They have a branch in Holland too. If you need help to sort certain issues, a local dealer is good to have IMHO. Alternate's (or any other online shop's) service ends at the door. Just to say, sometimes it worthwhile to pay a little bit more. It's still not totally clear whether you are looking for a FS9 or FSX FlyTendo? Kind regards Jaap

Hi Jaap,Yes, you're right, but I'd pay a bunch more money for less.I've read that alternate.de offers a 2-year send-back warranty.That's enough for me.At first I want to continue with FS9... but as FSx keeps growing, I'm certain that I'll change... after a year or two.Regards,Marius