Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Is this HP Pavilion decent?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Andrew,Without knowing what you plan to do with it, its hard to say ;).Regards,

Well, FS9 to start... but I will run FSX and want to make sure its max 4gb and upgradability are good so I can build it up a little bit at a time.FS is generally the most system-taxing software I'd be running. Also, I like to add stuff like Ultimate Terrain and USA Roads. I haven't used much traffic-related software but would like to.Thanks,Andrew

Andrew,I can tell you right now, if you want to run FS on it, easy answer. Don't buy this, why?. Few issues.CPU wise its not worth it, an X2 of that caliber will run FS9 ok, but will have its work cut out for FSX, do not expect any miracles from it, when comparing to the Intels.Furthermore the next-gen AMDs have according to recent benchmarks quite a way to go before even coming close to Intel's next-gens.Don't really think at this point AMD is the way to go, might change down the road, who knows.GPU, Unless you plan to add, an additional stand alone GPU. Gaming, would be out of the question with the low-end Onboard GPU. You won't get far gaming with an onboard GPU, housing only 128MB of RAM.(Onboard GPUs take RAM form your system RAM) <= BAD IDEA for gaming.And there come the issues, HP like many Pre-builders use proprietary hardware, meaning while you may be able to add a stand alone GPU, the PSU might not even be up to the task, and likely you wont be able to buy one yourself, since thats the "HP-proprietary" issue. It most likely wont have the right mobo connector, and it can be in some cases be the case that the PSU itself wont even fit at all.Simply put, this system is good if you want to do minor gaming like play the sims and do things like browsing, music etc. It's not a good "heavy-duty" gaming system.If you want to play FS reasonable good, build it yourself using quality parts, or spend quite alot more if you really need to have a pre-build system.Regards,

Thanks again-This is very informative.I am certainly interested in building my own if it's a lot more economical than off-the-shelf..CheersAndrew

Hey Andrew,Yeah in many cases you'd be better of, building it yourself. You have more control (and knowledge) whats in your system, and you can be pretty sure that you can upgrade your machine with "mom n pop computer store" store parts.A pre-build machine is easy to buy, but a pain in many cases to upgrade.In some cases people wanted to upgrade their old pre-build, and didn't have any other option, but to buy a whole new system, because they were unable to swap parts alone.Swapping parts alone, could save quite alot of money, instead of having to resort to a whole new system.I'd strongly recommend you think about building it yourself. (or have it build with your OWN choices of hardware), thats not the same as a pre-build system, you have no or hardly any control of the parts that go in there.DIY should save you upgrade headaches down the road.Regards,