Sign in to follow this  
BIGSKY

Fastest 512 AGP Card?

Hi all, I am trying to max out my ASUS 939 MOBO system,And am running the ATI Radeon X1950 Pro. Is there a faster AGP card out there? Thanks from Jim

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guest wayupthere

Hi Jim,GPU's performance depends alot on the resolution its rendering on your screen. What resolution are you running.?Regards,

Thanks Davis, I am running max resolution.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

As far as I know, the X1950 Pro and GeForce 7950GT are the fastest AGP cards out at the moment. I don't see a lot of difference in them on paper (screen?)... I have an nVidia 7900GS+ 512Mb and I don't know of a faster AGP card (at least from nVidia). I have had it clocked to 530/1500MHz without problems (it came factory OC to 450/1400) and that is faster than either of the two above (again, as far as I have read online)My suggestion would be to see how far you can push your X1950 Pro. Also, I don't know about your system and FSX, but even with mine running at 3.0GHz, I don't think the graphics card is the weakest link - I have good framerates but still get the dreaded stutters while loading textures etc... Perhaps with FSX using both cores you have a different story!Geoff

Guest wayupthere

Hi Jim,And what is your max resolution? ;) I need figures. Thats the ONLY way you can determine what card is good for you, and even if its worth to upgrade or not.@Geoff, with all do respect, resolution size is the key, you cant judge performance without it, for example, a lowly ATI9800 can beat a top of the line card in certain aspects if the ATI9800 lets say runs at 640x480 and the top of the line at say 2500x1600.. again just a very rough example but a clear indication that size matters quite a bit when asking about performance gains/losses.Regards,

I am running FSX at 1920 X 1200 X 32 AA 4 and AF at 8, On a 24 inch samsung CRT. I have 4 Gb of PC3200 ram.

Guest wayupthere

Hi Jim,Ok, since you are running in the higher resolutions (1280x and above), right now you have the option of the 7950 BUT.. it wouldn't make that much of a difference looking at it cost vs. performance.What might be of some interest to you is, assuming you are sticking with AGP for a while to come, and seeing how you have an ATI card right now.Hold out on upgrading a while longer, why?.. because as of January 4, 2008 Sapphire has announced its bringing out the SAPPHIRE HD 3850 still using the AGP standard. (with others to follow Powercolor, Club3D etc..)Now that would be a better investment, over the old 7 series nvidia or any old AGPs for that matter. With the 3850 you'll be covered with support for Shader Model 4.0 and the DirectX 10.1Hope that helps,Regards,

>@Geoff, with all do respect, resolution size is the key100% agree - I was making too many assumptions!As for the Sapphire HD 3850 AGP card - that looks very nice indeed but it's so new that I couldn't find any independent information on this nor anywhere in Europe that has it in stock! I think it's going for about