Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

New laptop performance 2x worse than old laptop.. HELP!!!

Hey guys,Well I am alittle alarmed here. Just received my new HP laptop below, installed FS 9 first thing & to my big surprise, it is REALLY slow!!...14 FPS at max if I am lucky... I don't think that's normal.. I checked the specs & they are all there. See belowI bought an HP DV6675US with the following specs:T7250 2.0 GHz Core Duo4 GB RAM 667 MHz250 GB HD 5400 RPMGeforce 8400 GS 128 MB Dedicated (low, I know)Vista Ultimate 64My old laptop Toshiba Satellite 100 runs FS 9 mxed out at 25-30 FPS even in New York and i have tons of add ons on there whereas the hp only has the FS 9 base install... 14 FPS..My old laptop is:T5600 1.83 GHz2 GB RAM 533 MHz160 GO HDGeforce 7600 GO 128 MB DDRWindows XP Media CenterI am talking about both FS 9 installations maxed out and at 1280 x 800 in 32 bit...Vista Ultimate couldn't be the culprit could it? I was hoping to play FS X on it (haven't installed it yet) but WOW...Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thanks so muchWilliam

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

Guest baksteen33

Hi William, I don't know how it is now, but I know somebody who also had terrible performance with Ultimate and was happier with another Vista flavour. Other than that, the lesser GPU might be at least partially to blame? Did you turn off mouse shadows and the likes? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest Scratch1964

Hey William,So sorry that I haven't managed to respond to you until now. Have had one or two urgent domestic issues to deal with.I believe Jaap is right (hello there Jaap too). The 8400GS is, I hope you won't mind me saying, rather a light performer. It is not best suited to FS9 or FSX on either desktop or mobile. Vista ultimate may also be weighing on your performance too.Have you tried benchmarking the machine to see where its bottleneck(s) are? How about running other applications in Vista? How do they run? You need to determine whether it is an isolated problem with FS9, with all software, or hardware related. I suspect probably not hardware, providing other applications run OK. Did you install Vista fresh yourself upon receiving the machine? If not, I would recommend, at the very least, running a registry cleaner as an untidy registry can impact upon performance. Perhaps completely uninstall Vista and reinstall. Make sure also you have Vista SP1 installed via Microsoft.com. Have you checked performance of your hardware through performance tab in Vista control panel? You should be able to diagnose the problem one way or another. If you have access to XP home then I would try installing that. At least that way you can determine whether Vista was to blame.Do let us know how you got on.Scratch1964

Guest wayupthere

Hello William,With all already said, can you shed some more detail as to how you have your settings inside Vista, e.a Eye-Candy settings. Remember Vista in itself is a demanding OS, quite alot more than XP, specially the Ultimate version.Regards,