Sign in to follow this  
davido53

just some questions...

Is it true that the default bell 206 has a poor flight model?what are the best settings for helicopter flight, as my ability to land is extremely poor...tks!:-rotor

From what I've heard, the best "settings" to have are just below full realism. All I have to say is "practice makes perfect". And Cal's Hoversafe programs are really good too (shameless plug for all the help he's given to the people I keep sending his way!) Just takes time, that's the best advice for any aspiring Flightsim Helo pilot.

Guest emergency_pants

I don't think the bell has a poor flight model. I don't fly helicopters in real life, so I have no yardstick to measure what a good heli flightmodel is... it feels fine to me and so in my eyes it's good. :)I guess it depends on what you personally measure against to decide on a quality of a flight model. I'd argue that it's a purely individual affair. I really like the default Bell... I think it feels very balanced but someone else might loath it! :(When I started heli flying, I had the realism sliders set down to about 1/3. After a few attempts I raised it a little. I now have them set either at 1/2, 2/3 or one point under max, depending on what mood I'm in! :) 2/3 is my favourite... it feels like I can hover it with a comfortable amount of effort/concentration and it flies steadily.Like ems says, landing takes lots of practice... Although I can land ok, I haven't mastered it fully yet myself... I'll need tons more practice before I can make a straight in approach and land on the spot, every time, without over/undershooting. It feels damn good when you do it though!! :DSimon.

Guest Lindy

David, I'm learning to fly helos too. My advice is to visit the HoverSafe page, read their suggestions on control settings and download their lessons. If you're in FS2002 (which I presume you are), HoverSafe requires you to test using the default Bell206, and they seem to believe the flight model is quite accurate. The first few lessons are VERY basic but are helpful in learning control. I'm making pretty good progress, although my landings are still very iffy! :-hahUse very slight movements of the stick for control; don't try to hurry; and practice, practice, practice. Good luck.-Lindy :-rotor in training

Flying helicopters at 85% aircraft realism set and about 50% sensitivity allows you to perform almost everything you see real helicopters do. A lot of counter-acting with the pedals is required to fly the most intensely, with anticipated swinging of the chopper due to its pendulum effect under the rotor blades.The default Bell 206 is fine to fly but does need shocked skids so it bounces a little like the real thing when it settles down. If you can't make the Jetranger perform like the real thing then you need more practice.Remember that wind make a lot of difference in helicopter operations.Regards,Rotorhead.

The 206 flight model is okay. Any complaints may be due to the fact that FS is an airplane sim so it doesn't necessarily make the best helo sim.I set my realism to one click below maximum. Control settings are at maximum sensitivity with zero null-zone. The reason for this is so that very slight movement of the stick will be registered by the sim. Otherwise, you'll end up reacting too slowly and overcorrecting.Note that since this is a sim and you have no feel for what the helo is doing, in a way it's a lot harder than the real thing. Just like driving sims take practice to master no matter how well you drive in real life.