Sign in to follow this  
Guest DanielBu

New rotor wash effect

Guest DanielBu

Hi guys,I didn't get much attention in the other forums, but anyways, here is a screeny of the new effect for you helicopter guys.I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to increase the altitude at which the effect occurs, but all in all I'm quite fond of what I have now. Credit goes to Mark Luzzi for the effects file, which I've used and modified.-Daniel

Guest DanielBu

OK here's the final effect. A low-res version is attached. (Put the fx file into the effects folder, the bmp goes into effects/texture.) I'll upload the complete version later.Have fun,-Daniel

Guest Wayne Smith

The new effect looks great! Thanks for working on this. I'll give t a try.Happy holidays!!WayneMetro 7 / NMH07Metro Helicopterswww.metrohelo.org

Guest DanielBu

Merry Christmas!Thanks for trying it, I uploaded the final version but it's not up yet. Tell me what you think!-Daniel

Guest Wayne Smith

Daniel,I backed up my original FX file, and then copied your new one into the FS2K4 effects folder. I then copied the new BMP into the texture sub-folder, inside the effects folder. However, I do not see the new effect with the default Bell 206. I have effects set to maximum in the Settings menu. Are there any other settings I should be aware of, or did I forget something? :-) See screenshot.This is in the aircraft.cfg of the B206:[EFFECTS]wake=fx_wakewater=fx_spraydirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparksI am thinking I need to change water=fx_spray to water=fx_rtr_wtrIs this correct?Thanks!Waynehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54563.jpg

Guest DanielBu

Uh ... that's strange. It should work that way! I have the same readings in the bell .cfg, so that's not the problem. Check the fx_rtr_wtr.fx file and search for "fx_rotwash.bmp", if it's in there it should work. Hmm...-Daniel

Guest DanielBu

I just installed the files I uploaded to the forum, just in case. It works for me (see screenshot). Dunno, maybe you can find out what the problem is. Sorry!-Daniel

Guest Wayne Smith

That effect looks great! I'll keep working on my configuration problem, and will let you know what it turned out to be.Wayne

Guest Lindy

Dan.... these pics look great! Mike Carr is raving about the effects over at Hovercontrol, so at least it works for him!Is this strictly an FS09 effect? I'd like to try it out in FS2002.Wayne: I sure hope you get it working for you. *fingers crossed*-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Guest Lindy

The effects do work quite well (I'm using FS2002). You have to get close to the water before they manifest. Try lowering your hover. If you'll be using a helo with skids, don't dip into the water! OUCHI tried with the default Bell and flew along Hood River in Oregon. In the VC I had to get right down close before I could see anything. Also I used the "small" or low res version. (EDIT: I made no changes to any config at all..... just added the files as per instructions. END EDIT)Good job, Dan. Looks very good. -Lindy :-rotor

Guest Wayne Smith

Well, I used the release version that Daniel uploaded to AVSIM, and replaced the existing files, using the "large" version of the BMP.I'm not sure what was wrong before, but now it's working great! And no frame rate hit that I can see on my P4 1.4 GHz system with the large BMP.Waynehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54651.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54652.jpg

Guest DanielBu

:) Glad it works for you now. Thanks for your comments!-Daniel

Great pics Wayne, glad you got it working (you to in FS2002 Lindy ;-) )Daniel, this is spectacular!!!! thank you very much for this. I installed it last night and was just floored by the effect!!! I had to let all the guys over at Hovercotrol about this one, a must have file!!!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest nobicus

For those who want this effect for all their choppers they need to amend the aircraft.cfg file for each one. The full "effects" section should read;-"EFFECTS"wake=fx_wakewater=fx_spraydirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparkslandrotorwash=fx_rtr_lndwaterrotorwash=fx_rtr_wtrcementrotorwash=fx_rtr_cmntFor those who really want to go to town they should alter the effects names for those included in Mark Luzzi's upload to allow for a large effect and a small effect. You then alter each file to call the new bitmap from Daniel Beuchter for each. In this way you can have two rotor wash water effects, a large and a small. You can then amend the line shown above for waterrotorwash to allow for the effect that best suits your chopper.I tried to put the square brackets into this mail but for some reason the words become invisible!!!!