Sign in to follow this  
Dean_EGTC

FS And LCD Monitors

Does anyone run FS2002 with a LCD monitor? I am looking at a new system and stores seem to be pushing the new thin LCDs rather than the CRT types. Do the gauges and scenery look sharp and detailed - is the resoultion good? Any advice on size or brand? I am limited with my budget. Thanks. :-)

Guest outtatimeiii

LCD has the advantage over CRT (well MOST CRT, anyway) to be more sharp and crisp in images (The LCD's we have in the comp lab in my college are very nice). Only things bad on LCD's are that:1) Stuff wont appear as fast as a CRT (Drag your scrollbar up and down fast on a CRT, now do the same thing on a LCD, the reaction time is a lot higher on the LCD, making things not appear as fast, still almost instant, but not instant enough LOL)2) Cost. A good LCD is gonna cost a lot more than a CRT at the same size (At least thats what I found out). I was planning to buy a nice LCD for my new comp due to lack of space on my desk, but the price was very high (and i couldnt afford it LOL) so I got a extremely nice 17" CRT monitor instead (that was even pushing my space restraints), because I thought it was a better deal.3) LCD only have 1 native resolution. If a LCD is rated at 1024x768, thats the res your gonna have to use for everything, or the LCD is gonna stretch that image to its native res, and it will appear blurred.At my college, we have 17" Hitashi(sp) 1024x768 LCD screens in the "specialized" comp labs. Those are very good, makes it easier to read text and other stuff, and I think the color is excellent on them also. But I dont like the refresh (LCD are slower than CRT) on the LCD screens, and in games you will notice it.

I have noticed that most people are wary of the new LCD technology, but their fear isn't entirely justified. I have a ViewSonic VA550 monitor which I purchased mainly because there wasn't enough room on my desk for a CRT. However, after using one for several months I am convinced they are better than CRTs. Here are the pros of LCDs (based on what I observed):1. They are flat, thus taking up less space.2. Colors appear more vibrant.3. The image is so sharp you can make out the individual pixels.4. Support digital output (some do anyways)And there are 2 cons that I could think of--the low refresh rate disallows the use of 3D glasses. Don't let the refresh rate throw you off though, because the simple fact of the matter is that LCDs "refresh" the screen differently than CRTs and even at a low refresh rate your eyes won't be hurt and the image seems persistant. The other con is that my particular monitor only seems to allow up to 1024x768. I'm not particularly troubled by this since I run everything in this resolution anyway, but I'm sure some people would be turned off by this. One thing I know potential buyers are worried about is the myth that "ghosting" occurs in games where the image is rapidly changing. This simply isn't true, at least with current LCD technology. Also, you will find that desktop LCDs are of higher quality than the ones that are slapped onto laptops.There is one other interesting monitor technology that I haven't heard much about, but am very much interested in (despite the fact that it costs more than my entire computer setup! :-eek). They are monitors that allow you to see in 3D WITHOUT 3D glasses or any kind of accessories. Here is the link:http://www.dti3d.comIf anyone can shed some light on how well these work I would like to hear about it...Derek

I'm with you Derek. I switched to running FS from my old trusty Sony 400PST to an Eizo L565. Although I've dropped down from the 1600 res I ran on the Sony to the Eizos native 1280, the picture clarity/vibrancy more than makes up for it. I see no scenery redraw problems either.