Sign in to follow this  
BobK

New DCA scenery teachs a VALUABLE lesson.

The new DCA scenery so GENEROUSLY uploaded for FREE is nothing short of exceptional, phenomenal, outstanding, superb, (insert your adjective here)!!!! I would have gladly paid money to get THIS type of attention to detail. This scenery is on par with SimFlyer's and does a good job of whooping many other sceneries on my hard-drive (and on my credit card statement). This add-on is to scenery what PIC767 is to panels and it is obvious that it is a labour of love (along with the LGA) by the Mr. Ansari.With that said, I call your attention to the poor quality of quite a few recent releases of scenery for FS2002 (and other things for that matter) by payware authors. It seems that there is a sad trend to getting paid for any little drivel that one comes up with, no matter the quality. The trend now seems to me to be "good enough" is "good enough" for the masses. I hesitate and shudder to think of how much time Mr. Ansari spent on his two magnificent projects; but make no mistake that when one's heart (instead of one's bank account) is the motivation for the contribution to this community it is truly a sight to behold. With no pre-release announcements, fancy titles, or anything but humility this man has produced a real work of art.So. Not to say I have anything against payware authors because I do not. BUT, I think that the NEXT time someone whips up something half heartedly and then charges for it they need to pause and load up Mr. Ansari's DCA scenery first! If it can't reach THIS level then you need to rethink charging a fee when it cannot surpass what one man offers for free! I say this to payware authors: Put your heart in it FIRST and the cash WILL follow!!! :-coolJust my two cents and a heap of thanks to Mr. Ansari.Regards,Mike T.

Well said Mike!!Awesome scenery Mr. Ansari.....keep up the awesome work.

I'm with you Mike. Thank goodness for folks like Shez who have the skills and the love of the hobby to contribute such fine work. I applaud them all.Trip

Guest Milio_B

Same hereHis sceneries are one of the best sceneries I have ever downloaded....Keep it up!

It wasn't until I did a search for his name that I realized that he also did SAN, MKE, DTW, LGB, LAS, LGA, and DCA!!!!Jeeeeeeeze, all this time I've been using every one of his sceneries and always thinking how wonderful they are and I didn't even realize it :-(Okay, now I owe the man a case of beer! :-lol:-beerchugMike T.

DCA scenery?? Sounds like I am missing out on a goodie I have no knowledge of.Please post a website link.

Guest oyvindhansen

Good point Mike. There's too many payware developers out there who are only half professional and offering mediocre and overpriced products. And then we have people like Mr. Ansari, the team of Lennart & Per(who recently gave up releasing scenery), the Mosher brothers and many others, who make top quality and give it away for free. They are the people who make this hobby great.Of course I have nothing against payware as long as it's truly great, but that hasn't always been the case lately.- Oyvind

Guest C17SimGuy

Doh! You got me all excited, Mike! I went everywhere looking for Shez's SAN. . .but I figured that you probably ment SNA . Oh well. While we're at it, Shez, if ya read this, I'm voting for San Diego (KSAN) for the future! :7-drew

Guest flightpro08

I agree 100% Mike. While there are still many good payware authors out there that produce quality products over and over again, there are a disturbing number of companies that just don't "cut it." Obviously, I won't list any companies here, as that's improper, but I think we all know who they are. ;-)I'm actually thinking about learning GMAX myself through this winter and into the spring/summer of next year. I know I would never charge a penny for any of my work, as I feel peole who have spent $50-$75 on the actually sim itself, shouldn't have to pay an additional $20-$30 for additional aircraft and sceneries.Don't get my wrong, I'm by no means "anti-payware." I have hundreds of dollars worth of payware stuff, and use all of it on a regular basis. Though, it's always nice to be able to browse through the AVSIM Library and stubble across an aircraft, scenery, or utility that is of payware quality, but being "given away" free of charge.

LONG LIVE FREEWARE! :D

Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

AAaaaarrrgggghhhhhh ... :-mad I keep getting "Sorry ... blah blah .. 3 users maximum ... blah blah". Same with the fokker (tee hee.. this name makes me giggle - what was marketing thinking?).

Hi Mike_TI tried to install and followed the directions but with my limited knowledge on a computor I keep getting a some objects may not load window when I start fs2002.The part of activating dca city has me a little confused. It will load eventually but not till I keep clicking ok on the pop-up window.Hope I explained my problem well enough for you to possibly help me.Thank You Nick

Nick,I got the same eror message until I installed the trees that cam with the scenery package. After that the error message went away.Great scenery though.Matt

OK Mike got it figured out and it is stunning, fps on my 1gig are not bad.Thanks Nick