Sign in to follow this  

Great program! Some thoughts....

DamianHave just tried wxRE and it's superb. Perhaps too good - my UK VFR flying has been grounded by the weather - not only in RW, but now in FS2002!!A few thoughts which might already be on your radar, or might be useful for updates:1. Could there be an option to automatically run wxRE when FS2002 is started? (ie it edits FSUIPC.INI to add a "run" statement - eg Runif1=READY,CLOSE,C:program filesactiveskywrxwxre.exe)2. When either a TAF or METAR that's downloaded is out of date, might it be useful to "grey" the data on the main interface so it's obvious that it's out of date?3. Can the "tooltips" text (ie field prompts) be extended and provided for every field? A lot of the field related text in the user manual would be really helpful.4. I know the idea is for users to become aquainted with the METAR and TAF abbreviations, but would it be too much of a "cheat" to have a tooltip pop up when they mouse over, with the plain english translation?!5. In the weather planning screen, I set up a route, and then cleared the en-route/alternate field (I'd previously put an invalid ICAO code in it). When it refreshed, wxRE still seemed to be checking the blank en-route field, and reporting that it coudn't find the (blank) non-existant code6. When climbing up to and then into an overcast layer, that it's very much a case of you're either "in the cloud or out of it". In RW, I think there cane some small variances in the bottom of the cloud layer - would it practical to put a very thin SCT or BKN layer of, say 50 ft, under overcast layers? Maybe it's just me, but it might feel a bit more real!Great program, looking forward to the next update!RegardsAndy

Hi Andy!Thanks for the great suggestions.. I will probably work on all of those! :) Thanks again..-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...][/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest RiddlePilot

>1. Could there be an option to automatically run wxRE when FS2002 is started? (ie it edits FSUIPC.INI to add a "run" statement - eg Runif1=READY,CLOSE,C:program filesactiveskywrxwxre.exe)There's a program somewhere in the depths of the file library here that will do that for you. You choose the program to add, and then set the parameters to open when FSUIPC is initialized (after loading the flight) and close when FS shuts down. Works very nicely.

Damian, I'd also like to add another suggestion (man, I love this program BTW). I think the wake simulation is cool, but it seems awful severe when you're in the vicinity of a small prop plane.For example, I get massive turbulence and overstressing whenever flying a Cessna 152 within a mile of another GA plane. This makes following a Piper on final pretty much a guaranteed NTSB event, something fortunately uncommon in real life :-)Would it be possible to adjust the intensity of the wake based on the source of it? I also think there's something off about the location of the wake - the zone should be in a fan to the rear of the aircraft, dispersing (and descending a bit) with distance and time. I got wracked the other night flying a go-around when another plane was taking off from the wrong direction. As I flew past him 200 feet above and to the right, my plane shook to pieces and ActiveSky said "Wake Turbulence". Scott

Hi DamianI tried starting FS2002 whilst offline, with FSUIPC.INI set to start wxRE (which it did OK), with wxRE set for ONLINE use.wxRE seemed to get itself in a bit of a pickle, as I'd expected it would detect there was no Internet connection, and kick up a DUN connection box (which it didn't).wxRE tried to download, but sensibly reported "DL timeout, retrying on next request". I then manually set up a connection to the Internet, and clicked REFRESH. wxRE responded "Aborting METAR read request, still downloading from previous request" (so we got rather "stuck" then!!)Could wxRE be configured (or have an option) for it to request an Internet connection if there isn't one when it is loaded?RegardsAndy