Sign in to follow this  

ActiveSky WXre eating CPU?

Sometimes (at irregular intervals, I've not been able to get a reproducable scenario) ActiveSky will start eating up CPU time.Slowly it rises from the normal one or two percent to using 98% CPU time, freezing solid (and slowing FS2002 to a crawl of course).The only way to kill it is through the taskmanager.Running Win2K Pro, latest patchlevel. PIV-1.6 with 1024MB RAM and 1MB ADSL connection.

Guest rds_mcleod

>Sometimes (at irregular intervals, I've not been able to get >a reproducable scenario) ActiveSky will start eating up CPU >time. Damian will obviously be of more help than I, but I can tell you I had the same problem (basically) AND blamed ASky. Everytime I loaded the PSS Dash8, and sometimes the PSSA320 using FS2002 ATC, an IFR Fltplan AND heavy cloud - boom! I'd lose sound. With NO help from PSS or anyone else for that matter; I followed the issue up with John Hnidec and found that I could totally remove FSMax from the server PC. Then, using the new version software for FSMax and v1.15 of ASky and FSGarmin on the REMOTE PC the problem was solved. In order to free up the resources on the server, I use EndItAll, and run EVERYTHING else from the client PC where is also clean all extra resource gobblers, INCLUDING Antivirus software from both. As a result, I get the expected radar returns on FSMax and FSGarmin does it's job just fine.I have a P3 866 with 512K DRAM, Win2XPRo, Nvidea G4 64K Ti4200 - all of which is insufficient if you're trying to run FS2002, WX, and ATC IFR from the server PC using WideServer - at least on my current system. I found that running FSMeteo was less resource demanding, but then it isn't working as hard as ASky with the same initial sound resource loss as long as FSMax was loading from the Server PC.Have fun and 'keep tweakin!' :-walksmileRon McLeod CYEG

It happens irrespective of having FSFM loaded so I doubt it has to do with that.

very interesting, ron. during long flights I realize a distorted sound when running WXre. I just completed a flight from Munich, Germany to Luxor, Egypt and ATC was completely messed up. however, I do not run FSMax, 'just' DF733 on a 2700+ amd....CheersPhilCome to DAD!http://www.dangerous-airports.com/images/dad_logo.jpg

Guest rds_mcleod

>very interesting, ron. during long flights I realize a >distorted sound when running WXre. I just completed a flight What sound card are you using? I'm using an Audigy Gamer card, and a more apt name (given the install problems with Win2KPro) is Audigy Lamer. But Gawd knows how much of the sound problems (from time to time) lies within FS2002. :'(Ron McLeod CYEG

Hi Phil,A user recently had this problem, too many add-ons were loaded on the system slowing it down too much, and I think the sound card type had something to do with it as well. The solution was to change FS2002's priority to HIGH via the task manager. Problem went away. Maybe this will help you too? Let me know!BTW, I have made some dramatic performance improvements in v1.2 - stutters and pauses even on lower end systems should be a thing of the past.-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...][/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I posted serveral post on the PSS forum with Activesky and the Dash 8 haveing problems with ATC screen dissappear during flight, And performance. And it only happens when flying PSS with AS. To date they have not responded to one of my problems. I'll keep that in mind when they want my business again.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Hi Bill,You are not the only user to report Dash 8 performance issues with wxRE. IMO this is simply a case of too many things going on that the computer gets overloaded on. wxRE is quite resource intensive as is the Dash 8 I am sure. With that in mind some things that might help would include:- Lowering FS2002 sliders- Closing applications that you don't need- Trying FORCE idle priority with wxRE- Changing FS2002 priority to high (with task manager)If you are still unable to get adequate performance, may I suggest the definitive solution: WideFS. Put your add-ons on another computer and leave your main system strictly for FS2002.The wxRE update pending release also has numerous performance enhancements, this may or may not help with the Dash 8 but it certainly won't hurt.Hope this info helps.. -Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...][/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks for the info. I think I 've tried all your solutions except for the second computer. I might have to break down and spend more $$$ and try that. Is there some documentation on how to set that up? I might do that in the next few weeks.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Guest rds_mcleod

>- Lowering FS2002 sliders >- Closing applications that you don't need >- Trying FORCE idle priority with wxRE >- Changing FS2002 priority to high (with task manager) Damian: There's one more to add to the list: any anti-virus software running on either host or client should be disabled. John Hnidec says Norton products can really mess up the airshow using Garmin/FSMax software. >If you are still unable to get adequate performance, may I >suggest the definitive solution: WideFS. Put your add-ons >on another computer and leave your main system strictly for >FS2002. Thankfully, I have a small LAN, but that's precisely what I had to do. With Wideserver I got everything off of the WideServer host - except for FS2002. Obviously, FSMAX software has to be removed from the host and moved to the client, along with FSGarmin - if you have it. Secondly, the latest FSMAX/ActiveSky upgrades must be installed on the client to free up the host. Radar and higher slider settings are then possible.As everyone knows by now, both FSMax and ActivelySky are very resource hungry! By following your suggestions, especially by providing a second PC to run the add-ons, the resource problems will likely dissapear. The PSS-Dash8 should run fine. PSS is planning an udate with fixes, but whether there has been any effort to address the "big slurp of resources" the Dash8 demands is unknown. :-bla>The wxRE update pending release also has numerous >performance enhancements, this may or may not help with the >Dash 8 but it certainly won't hurt.Great news! Ron McLeod CYEG