Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jalok

Winds aloft simulation problems

Guest Jalok

Winds aloft simulation does not turn off when unchecked on wxRE options window. Is there an imediate fix for that or will I have to wait for the forthcoming patch?Thanks

Antonio,See if this works: uncheck winds aloft and save options. Then in FS clear all weather and wait for wxRE to load new weather. There is also a way to disable winds under FSUIPC.Hope this helps,Jim

Guest Jalok

As you can see on the screenshot, no success Sir. Also, could you please tell me exactly which FSUIPC option to turn off? Couldn't find anything strictly related to winds aloft on v3.97 release.Thanks in advance,Jalok

Ok, wasn't sure myself so I went to the manual. On page 22 there is a good explaination of how winds aloft are used. I'll let you read it. Also the latest version of FSUIPC is 2.972. Under the Winds tab on the left side you can limit external winds and/or discard maximum winds. If you still have questions or problems post them here and I'll try to help.Hope this helps,Jim

Winds aloft does not turn off..Not sure I understand. What are you trying to accomplish?The winds aloft simulation option is for enabling upper wind simulation when above 1500ft AGL from the nearest METAR reporting station. If disabled you will retain your surface winds.Are you reporting a bug with this feature? If so, first report, so let us confirm it by getting some more information so I can reproduce it. No fix planned, no immediate fix (haven't heard of it before) as this is not confirmed as a problem. If you can supply more data and we confirm there is an issue of course it will be fixed ASAP.-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...][/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Jalok

Understood sir! The fact that I was experiencing winds above surface was probably because of a FSUIPC setting, that enables upper layer extension. Anyway, ActiveSky main window induces user misunderstanding as it shows the word "simulated" on the winds aloft field. Should say also that my interest in turning winds aloft simulation off is that many times this feature generates winds in opposite direction of the real and current weather, what hurts simulation more than not having any winds anyway, IMHO. Two questions: 1) Is it possible to enter manually winds aloft data? I have some sources of winds data for regions where I usually fly which I could feed ActiveSky with. 2) When should we expect the next release with worldwide winds aloft data?Thanks in advance!

Guest hlm65

Hi Jalok,I did input manually winds aloft in Active wxRE v 1.15.You have to create your new stations beforehand (putting name of station and coordinates in the fdwinds initialization file, the one which already hold the recognized stations), then you can add to a defwinds file your new stations and relative winds. I tried this putting European stations as Frankfurt, Paris, Munich and so on then inputting manually their respective datas and it works fine.Try !Enrico.

Guest Jalok

Thank you, Enrico! Have tried and it works fine. I think it should be a little easier if ActiveSky would permit online editing on its main window. Anyway, let's hope next AS version will be released soon, and with complete and updated international winds aloft. I'm a bit septical about this feature though, as many countries do not share the same way/interface to show the winds data.

Guest hlm65

Hi Jalok,I'm happy you tried my little trick with "manually edited" winds aloft also on not-US areas and you found it useful. I do hope next wxRE update could give us a not-so-lenghty way to update winds worldwide and some URLs where to get the winds in correct format (as we have for METARs and TAFs at the NOAA, lettkng us to update and save offline files whenever we wish).Enrico.