Sign in to follow this  

Severe Frame Rate Hits

Robert,wxRE is not FSMeteo, we cannot use either as a comparison reference for performance. wxRE does far more than FSMeteo when it comes to dynamic processing. Obviously by nature this means wxRE will have a bigger performance hit.Your frame rate drops occur during updates only, is that correct? Have you tried "force idle priority" ? Are you using FSFlightMax export (big performance hit)? Does it occur in some areas only and not in others? What are your update intervals set to? Thanks!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Damian and company: I empathize with your tough task of troubleshooting these types of problems. There could be so much more going on in the background on these computers, such as configuration errors and other software running, perhaps unknowningly.I wanted to comment on advice in a previous post in this thread regarding disabling antivirus software. I am running Norton Internet Security 2002 (which includes antivirus). With it all enabled, there are 8 Norton-related processes running on my machine. With it all disabled, there are still 7 of these 8 processes running. It makes we wonder how much resource is really returned when one disables antivirus. Perhaps they stay resident in memory but remain asleep.Cheers,Peter

Hi Damian!Thanks for your feedback so far - seems we have to restart our discussion as so many people are joining us now :-)No Damian, I agree with you there: AS is not FS Meteo, that's true, in fact I feel AS is much better than FS Meteo, I have pointed that out before.For your information: I run AS on a 2,2 gigahertz system, with 512 megabyte RAM, Geforce 4 128 megabyte. After starting FS2K2 I always return to my desktop and use the Windows XP taskmanager to shut down all applications which are running in the background. After doing so I activate AS.In FS2K2 I have all sliders full, except texture quality (90%)and buildings cast no shadows, maximum visibility lowest (60 nautical miles). Aircraft settings all sliders full. ATC and AI traffic lowered from 100% to 15% which improved performance.I'm still not ready with testing, however, the coming weeks I have no time to fly :-( I will monitor this discussion thoroughly and I will jump in when necessary.The story which I pointed out as above remains unchanged: framerate drops when entering certain areas.When pausing the game and checking AS it seems that there is no update process taking place.Cheers and thanks a lot for all your help so far - you guys are doing a great support job :-)Robert van Vaals.

Robert,I, for one, respect your mature, informative response. However, I also read that your stutters are not happening during updates, but when entering certain areas. Is it possible that on your system it is some scenery that is causing your stutters? I think its safe to say that every FS user experiences some stuttering when a highly detailed, AI plane filled airport comes into view. Or maybe it is time to try the Force Winds Option AND the Disable All Wx Updates When Forced Option. Please keep us posted when you have time.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi there!It has been a long time hasn't it and in this mean time a flew a *great* lot to test ActiveSky - final results: changed my FS2K2 settings a *great* lot too with a result that ActiveSky operates different.No frame rate hits anymore, only when severe clouding builds up, which is a FS2K2 setting - 75% clouds detail does the trick so far.I think the way ActiveSky runs is highly dependable of the FS2K2 settings.I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody from the ActiveSky team for their prompt and much appreciated support on this subject.ActiveSky is imho, contrary to earlier posts, a definite keeper for me!Thanks, Robert van Vaals, EHRD.

Robert,I'm glad you got things working AND you took the time to post your positive results. For our own learning, please list what your final settings ended up at. FYI your cloud stuttering may completely go away at 70%.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

>>... highly recommended is FSSWSE>http://fsw.simflight.com.... >-DamianDamain, How do FSSWSE andf ActiveSKy interact? Are they competing products? Does ActiveSKY use the cloud effect from FSSWSE? Confused.... :)brad.

FSSWSE are sets of improved cloud textures. ActiveSky grabs and processes the weather, while FSSWSE improves the visuals.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi Jim,Thanks!This morning my final settings looked like: everything maxed except terrain mesh complexity (50%) and clouds (50%) - I own a 2,2Ghz. computer with 512Mb. RAM and GeForce TI4200 128Mb. graphics adapter.In general I discovered that frame hits occur when FS2K2 builds up those nice looking 'fuzzy' and 'transparent' clouds, as found, for example, in thunderstorm skies.Above settings, however, looked quite satisfactory so far!Regards,Robert van Vaals.