Sign in to follow this  

Vertical wind interpolation ?

Hello,great to hear about the progress with the private server system, and it looks like the future wind modelling is what I've been wanting for a long time, i.e. truly worldwide winds including oceanic and otherwise remote areas not usually covered by weather balloon observations. There's no doubt I'll upgrade to FS2004 and AS2 for that.What I've been meaning to ask, however, is if we could expect vertical wind interpolation?For example, right now with the upper winds of AS 1.8 that I use, if there's a "winds aloft layer" at 28000' and the next one is at 36000', upon climbing through 28000' winds will be set to the appropriate value (gradually, if you set it like that in FSUIPC). But then the same wind will be kept all the way up to 35999', only to starting changing to the 36000' figure when you reach 36000'. Upon descent, the same thing happens the other way round: the 36000' winds are kept until reaching 28000'. I realize the difference between vertically succesive W/V values is not always that big, but sometimes it is, and that can make for tricky flight planning; eg your optimum level (aircraft performance-wise) might be FL350, but if you end up still having the FL280 winds at that altitude, your groundspeed, fuel and ETA estimates become very different from the ones you had planned.So, is this possible? The upper air temperatures do it very nicely, but I guess that's not the same since I think MSFS automatically interpolates between set temperature layers. I don't know about this, but maybe interpolated upper winds might require AS to calculate the interpolation internally, and then send a slightly modified wind figure to FS whenever altitude changes a few hundred feet or so??So I don't know if it's feasible or even possible, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway..great product as it is though, I never fly without!regards,Ken

Hi Ken!Thanks for the great feedback...wxRE uses a global single wind layer and keeps track of it based on intervals of 3000' altitude changes matched with nearest available RAOBS data levels. Quite a few limitations here as you notice with your example...The new AS2 system uses FS2004's new station-based weather. No longer is a single layer set and manipulated. Instead, each station within visual range (approx 60 miles of position) gets its own individual surface AND aloft details. Each station can have a maximum of 20 aloft layers. 9 Layers are used by default from the source data (similar to the FD system, 3K, 6K, 9K, 12K, 18K, 24K, 30K, 34K, 39K). Horizontal interpolation is already taken care of within FS2004 (to account for the areas between stations), and vertical detail by default is 10 layers (1 surface, 9 aloft). Upon results of performance testing, I will consider adding 10 additional layers to increase detail between those layers via interpolation. All this should yield the results you had hoped for. Even if we can't get all 20 layers in, by default it will be much more accurate and consistent to planning data than the old system.Some more info about the new winds engine with FS2K4: There is also a horizontal boundary wind direction/speed change limit that can be set to reduce the difference between adjacent stations... The end effect being less "jerking" between areas of differing wind. This optional feature will reduce overall consistency to live data but will yield much smoother flying (FS2004 users have already noticed how sharp the wind changes can be even with FS default real weather). Wind smoothing is no longer an option (single global wind layer required) so this is AS2's solution to station-based wind transitions. Another first in FS weather simulation :)-Damian

Hi Damian,thanks for the quick and extensive answer. I sure look forward to seeing what all the goodies are about :)thanks,Ken