Sign in to follow this  
Guest erastmus

A bit disappointed..

Guest erastmus

I bought AS a couple of days ago, and first off, let me thank you for a nice product. I don't want to sound like a whiner though, and this post is definitely not some sort of flame. At least I do hope that it isn't taken like that, because I'm not out to offend anybody, especially not the developers of ActiveSky which I do consider being a good add-on.However, I can't help but feeling a little bit disappointed in the product though. Having read the review of the product here at avsim, and the promising productdescription at hifisim's homepage, I decided to buy it. With a big smile, I installed it, fired it up, and started up FS. No problem there, everything ran smoothly. My smile faded a bit once airborn though, and my hopes for, as the web site states "New weather display technology finally brings smooth cloud transitions to FS! Some breakthroughs have been made in the cloud display and transition department, resulting in pleasingly smooth transitions and consistent representation in most conditions! Cloud layers will slowly form and dissipate realistically over time. Never again will you see the entire sky suddenly go clear and cloudy again without warning!" I find that a bit misleading, because, as I understand now reading a number of messages at this board, I'm not the only one who experience global, drastic change in weather in the blink of an eye, from clear skies to a massive cloudcover with heavy winds. And nowhere on the page is it mentioned that the weather is updated globaly instead of locally.I read that there's a fix to this in the next version.. a payware update, that will empty my wallet even more.. however, as I said at the beginning, I do like the product. I'll probably shelf ActiveSky and use FS9's internal weather updater until the next version of ActiveSky, that I'll have and I'm going to buy.I guess that's the price one have to pay for trusting a single review that was made for 2002, and a homepage. And not doing my research reading up some more before buying it to realize I should have waited until the next version is going to be released.Sorry for this longwinded post. And I do hope it's not considering to be a whine. It's not. I'm just a bit disappointed. I'm looking forward to AS2./ Andy Peterson

Hi Andy thanks for your comments and for being polite :)The problem is that the feature you state was designed for FS2002. Heck, all of wxRE was designed for FS2002. FS2004 compatibility was added but because there are gaps in FS2004 weather that cannot be set via global wx, the cloud transitions can mess up the effect. This is documented in the FS2004_Info.txt file. Have you tried disabling cloud transitions? Have you tried, just for kicks, Disabling FS2004 weather writes? You may like this much better.-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Guest erastmus

Thank you for the reply Damian! I'm at work right now, I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get back home! =)/ Andy