Sign in to follow this  
Guest KevinShea

Active Sky 2 rain and cloud thickness question

Guest KevinShea

Hello,I was wondering about a question I have with Active Sky 2. Let say the current weather at some location is 2000 overcast with rain. What is the thickness of the clouds that active sky will use? Is this thickness variable to any degree?I ask this because many times when you are getting rain the cloud tops will be at 10,000 feet or higher. I remember some older "real weather" programs that I used (not Active sky) would simulate the rain well but then you would break out at 5000 feet or something which is usually unrealistic.Hope this question makes sense. Thanks.Kevin

Not sure, so Damian will have to answer. I also answered your e-mail.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi Kevin,Thicknesses are variable, mainly determined by humidity and standard lapse rate calculations, with some randomness thrown in as well. Typically cloud layers that are below another layer will have a ceiling close to the next layer's base (unless there is a large variation here). Cloud layers on the top will generally be thicker (unless they are high cirrus clouds). There is no condition check on precipitation, as far as thicknesses go. We let the METAR and AS2004's advanced processing of such dictate how thick the layer should be. So far the result is very realistic :)Damian Clark (CMEL/Inst)HiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg