Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rick1486

Why Use WideFS? What is it?

Guest Rick1486

Hi gang - as per the title really - just what is widefs and why should we use it? What does it do? What are the benefits/drawbacks?I have a home network with permanent broadband (1mb) connection.CheersRick

Rick,There are no drawbacks only benefits in my opinion. ;-) Well the only drawwback I can think of, and I really don't consider it a drawback, is that you have to have FSUIPC and WideFS registered meaning you have to buy the keys from Pete Dowson.WideFS let's you run external applications that connect to FS on a separate computer. It takes the load off of the main FS comp and you gain performance. If you are flying online you also have redundancy from computer crashes. Say SB hangs, you are still flying and you have to restart your "comms" comp and login again. No fuzz.It is truly a great combo.I run WideFS and have ActiveSky, SquawkBox, SBRelay and AIBridge as well as ServInfo running on a second 800MHz computer with a 17" monitor. FS9 running alone on a 2.8GHz comp with two 19" monitors. A superb combo.Hope it helps,

Hi Rick,WideFS is a program that allows external add-ons to be moved to a second computer on a network. This lightens the processing and resources load on the FS machine. For users that have multiple FS programs running it is the way to go. If all you are running is FS and AS you might not notice a difference.Now see, Matt has a whole list of stuff running..... Stick around and you'll get more input!! Yes the second display is good also.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg