Sign in to follow this  
Guest nigel28

my visibility keeps "popping" in and out and low altitude..why?

Guest nigel28

hey I love the product, but I have one question. I keep getting visibility popping when at low (10,000-2000 feet) altitude even when visibility is reports at 25 or greater..there are low lying clouds, and I am sure I am not in the clouds...I will just be flying along, and then "pop" the visibility goes and the screen turns mostly white...then if I go up or down a few thousand feet it goes away...its most annoying because when I am sitting on the ground the vis looks good...but as I climb out it will "pop" into low vis...then after a few thousand feet it goes away...is there a way to fix this?? I followed all directions for a good startup of AS and I do not have online updates enabled.

Hi,Are you positive all stations you are near to are reporting > 25 miles when this happens? It sounds like you are transitioning through the 9sm visibility transition mark, where FS9 goes from grey/white horizon draw to blue horizon draw. This is normal if any station you are transiting has less than 9sm vis.Please post your AS2004.ini file if this does not explain thigs, and I will look into it further.. thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest nigel28

hey, thanks for the reply..I wish I could post my ini file but I am at work. :( However, I may be able to help you out a little more here...it happens while in pattern for the same airport I took off from..in this example KSAN is reporting 25SM vis, so I am just doing patterns, etc and its just the opposite of what you said. Instead of popping from low vis to high, it pops from high to low, and the only thing I changed was altitiude, not distance from the airport. I am within 3 or 4 NM of the airport and flying on a straight line in the pattern. It seems to just opo into low vis sometimes. It doesnt do it all the time. Just sort of happens. But, on approach when I get low enough to the airport vis opos back normal again. It may be because of a close station reporting something different. Is there a way to fix this?

Hi,I believe there is a Navy airbase within 3nm of KSAN (KNZY), correct? It could very well be possible that this station became closest during your pattern work, and had lower visibility and so the vis dropped as such.. smoothed, but as said transition through 9sm (going up OR down) will be somewhat instant as the blue horizon draw is changed to a white one. Since it doesn't happen all the time, it sounds like sometimes you are skirting this transition area, and sometimes you stray a bit into the other station's zone.There is an easy way to verify this... watch your AS main screen, the closest station should switch to KNZY and the METAR should show a lower vis report when the vis drops in the sim.If this is the case, you can always remove the navy base and prevent such wx variations if you fly at KSAN often. Just delete the entry (KNZY) in wx_station_list.txt.Hope that helps.. please report back!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest nigel28

wow, yeah your right there is a naval base there...I never thought of that...darn naval base, with no AI!!! Who needs weather at an airport with no planes hehe :) I bet thats it because it always happened on the right downwind leg for runway 27