Sign in to follow this  
Guest sssummer

A little help please

Guest sssummer

Love the product. But something has been troubling me with my home airport. Don't seem to have this problem anywhere else. I fly out of KONT. Today, we are having a Santa Ana wind. KONT is reporting on the NWS web site winds out of the NE at 29, gusting to 45 on Nov 1 at 1150 PST. I can verify that the wind is howling outside of my house right now. It is as clear as the eye can see outside right now. You can probably see for a hundred miles. But when I fire up FS9 with activesky, it is hazy as all heck. Can't even see the 8,000 ft mountains from the airport. Visibility looks to be a couple of miles at best. I can cruise a few miles to the west to KPOC, and it is clear as day. This happens all the time. Here is what active sky is reporting at KONT. I dont know how to read the numbers. KONT 011853Z 03032G37KT 9SM CLR 19/M06 A3023KONT 011731Z 011818 05013G25KT P6SM SKC FM0200 VRB05KT P6SM SKC FM1000 06015G25KT P6SM SKCFL030: 354/20 (14.40) FL060: 015/21 (11.60) FL090: 006/23 (9.10)FL120: 344/36 (0.70) FL180: 332/56 (-11.10) FL240: 331/62 (-23.00)FL300: 336/70 (-40.70) FL340: 331/74 (-50.10) FL390: 327/81 (-57.90)I have all of the defaults enabled on Activesky, and have checked the Online updates box. I have it set to pause at startup, then I hit the refresh button when FS9 starts and I can verify it downloads the data. What is KONT reporting that makes the visiblity so poor?It should be clear as day. I notice this problem all the time at KONT.Thanks

Hi,Greetings from SoCal...It is reporting 9SM which is far from "crystal clear". FS9 depicts vis 9.9sm and below with a gray horizon band, which is probably what you are seeing as reduced vis.Strange that with such windy and dry conditions that the visibility would be reported 9sm. Maybe ONT is limited to 9SM max? This would throw things off.. most stations use 10sm as max. I'll keep an eye on this one...

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest sssummer

Damian,So if it reports 10sm, then it should be clear, 9 sm or lower, hazy? It just seems to be a problem at KONT more than other aiports. I live 4 miles N/E of KONT, and the day I was speaking of I could see all the way to Mt San Gregornio sp?, an 11,000 ft mountain, about 60 miles east. Clear as day. I can take off from Brackett about 10 miles west or Rialto N/E of Ontario and it will be much clearer on nice days everytime. Must be the data that KONT reports. Frustrating.