Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grahm

AsWXRE Cloud Layers

Guest Grahm

Just flew into KIAH from KGPT, no weather problems to relate but once I got inrange of KIAH it put SCT009 an OVC029. The OVC029 was incorrect. The metar reads: "KIAH 021720Z 33013KT 9SM SCT009 OVC011 07/04 A3027 RMK AO2"Is this normal or do I need to adjust something within ASwXRE? Or FSUIPC?Here is my AsWXRE ini://wxRE configuration file - be careful with edits here[General]WXREOfflinePath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREExportPath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREOperationMode = OnlineDefaultOfflineFile = defcycle02Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = FalseLowBandwidthWinds = FalseExportMetars = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = FalseIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 60ZuluConversion = -6RainVisReduction = FalseOvercastHorizonVis = FalseDisableForceWindUpdates = FalseTAFProcessing = FalseWakeTurb = TrueDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 200UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80Thanks,Mike

Guest Grahm

Does asWXRE generate this?KGPT 022053Z 09005KT 1/8SM FG VV001 16/16 A3001

Guest Grahm

Flying FS2002pro,I determined the height of the clouds by "slewing," an when I came out of them on approach to KIAH. OVC was at (Fs2002)029 an the metar said ovc011. It never corrected the height. I waited an waited an waited. I have had similiar situations occur.For the factor of the vv code, It was soup. Can AsWXRE produce that type of weather? B/c I was flying to KGPT to try an land an the metar was as follows: KGPT 022153Z 23004KT 1/4SM FG VV001 14/14 A3002 RMK AO2 SLP165 T01440144How can I get ASWXRE to create it? "Rain / Snow Visibility reduction, Overcast Horizon Vis Reduction" was unchecked, that might be why.

Hi Mike,Before I go to bed:FYI the data represents the lower limit of a cloud layer. Not sure if you knew that. Slew mode is not real accurate because weather does not accurately update. So was 029 the lower level of the OVC?The vv code stands for vertical visibility and cannot be depicted. However, the 1/4SM visibility can be. That is how I came up with the picture that the plane should have been sitting in soup.Yea, those 2 settings should be checked On.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Grahm

Yes, 029 was the lower limit.029 was the base of the overcast deck from the ground. It wasn't only from slew mode, it was from descending on approach as well.When I was flying, I thought it was alittle early that when I came out of the overcast since the metar said 011.Thanks for the prompt response!

Hi all,Remember also that when using wxRE's "cloud smoothing" features that it will prevent certain depictions in order to prevent the clouds from popping at a different altitude... 2900 to 1100 isn't a big enough change in wxRE's logic to warrant re-creating the layer and causing such a 'pop'. You can turn off such cloud smoothing via options and it will stick to the actual reports at all times.Hope that helps!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Grahm

That works.What's the lowest base OVC altitude that AsWXRE will generate? If your at a field elevation of 40ft. 300, 600, 1,000?