Sign in to follow this  
Guest _sebastian_

Recommended settings please

Guest _sebastian_

Today I took off from KLAX. Total overcast/fog/haze (can't remember which). But when I reached 4000 the overcast completely dissapeared and KLAX could be seen it all its beaty. Visibility was now unlimited it seemed. Well, I wanted to test it out and requested landing clearance, but all KLAX tower told me was that the airport is IFR!?!?! What gives? I can figure out on my own that this issue is all graphical, as KLAX tower actually just reacted to the METAR. When I landed, the vis was very low allright. But the shift from high to low vis was (again) very sudden and surprising.Please, can you help with recommended settings?/sebastianPS: I don't think this is caused by the 9.999 bug (allthough this seems to happen more often with ASV than with AS4.5). Is this something you noticed also?My .ini file:---------------------------------------//ASV configuration file Build 314[General]WindowPosX = 4920WindowPosY = 3540DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesASVSuppressionCeiling = 10000SurfaceWindLimit = 10FS9Path = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 100MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 59LastPlanFolder = NONEAutoVasFrequency = 40AEStartupMode = 3IncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseDisableRandomLightSelect = FalseFavorCumulus = FalseUnpauseOnReadyStatus = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoSetFSTime = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueAutoRefreshAI = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseAutoSaveAETheme = TrueOfflinePlayback = FalseEnableVAS = TrueAutoGenVAS = TrueForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = 2AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0MaxCloudThickness = 10000MinStratusSeparation = 7000TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONE---------------------------------------

Guest bonjourmoi44

Hi Sebastian. To be clear I am no expert w/the program, but I have used AS 4.5 for some time. I happened to notice one part of the manual that states:"Visibility Graduation (optional) effects help ease upwards transitions from low to high visibility. Visibility Smoothing eases lateral transitions with the help of FSUIPC. Of course, there are limitations to this, and certain situations can occur where visibility may not be smoothly transitioned. This is especially apparent when visibility shifts through 9.9999 or 59.9999 sm. To prevent such transitions, you can use the minimum/maximum visibility options to lock visibility between 10 and 59 miles. You may also wish to disable the visibility transition options entirely, using FS2004

Guest _sebastian_

>I noticed your min visibility setting was 0, so maybe change>this to 10 and see if it helps. Jim and the team will>undoubtedly have good, expert advice that I am unaware of, but>maybe the min visibility could be an easy fix. Good luck.Hi Cameron.Thanks for your advice. In my experience changing the min vis to 10 clears fog alltogether and I was really hoping for a less costly compromise. It certainly takes care of the vis jump, and the ATC's unruly behavior, but I think it's a shame that one has to choose between 1) fog/vis jump or 2) no fog/no vis jump, which seems to be the only alternatives right now. This issue is putting grey hairs on the devs, because MS doesn't allow hooking into the weather engine.Nevertheless I think that when you can't see the sky from the ground it shouldn't be possible to see the ground from above either. That is not a 9.9999 issue, so maybe there's a setting I overlooked?/sebastian

Hi,It is the 9.99 issue.. on the ground you can't see up because FS9's "lower vis" method has kicked in, obscuring the horizon correctly, but also obscuring vertically (above) - incorrectly. Once you climb out and there are no other cloud layers reported to help ease your transitions, it can look unrealistic as your vis rises above the 9.99 mark.Alternatives:-You can use FS9 haze layer without vis graduation. This pops vis instantly up as you clear the haze layer - just like FS9 default.-You can disable FS9 haze layer and disable vis graduation. This keeps the surface vis all the way up to infinity...-You can set max vis to 9SM (ASV options) to prevent it from going "clear blue"..Yes, much grey hair over this one!!!! :) Also try the bluish haze set from in AE interface, it can help the effect between transitions look better.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest _sebastian_

Oh, I hadn't thought that it was caused by the 9.999 thing, but off course now I hear your explanation I can see that it must be so. I'll give the max vis to 9 a try. If that doesn't work (or if I don't like it;-) I think I'll just go with min vis to 10 as Cameron suggested.Thanks guys,Sebastian