Sign in to follow this  
Guest mervynh

Changes in ASV while FS9 running

Hi, I'm new to Active Sky with ASV just downloaded and running. My experience so far has been very positive but with one major downside:- that if I make changes in ASV, e.g. in Wx Configurator to set the scene clear of cloud so that I can see the scenery after loading the flight with online weather running, the change doesn't seem to take place unless I close down the sim and start the flight again (albeit it the place I left it). Is this to be expected? If so I think I may have wasted my money! Even the default allows you to change the weather in flight. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? On a different tack does ASV allow you to have proper vertical convection? It would be unusual to say the least to have thunderstorms with a cloud top at 10000ft but I have experienced this routinely since using ASV (the default was just as bad), despite pretty looking Cb around the horizon. Has the layer thickness setting anything to do with it?Mervyn

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Mervyn,Thanks for your support!For the wx to be changed after using wx configurator, you must "Apply Now" followed by an update (i.e. "Update and Close"). Then the wx will be processed through the wx engine and on update will update your wx in FS. If you are airborne, suppression settings will prevent changes to your LOCAL wx which is what I am guessing is happening.To avoid local suppression, you can either turn off local suppresion in ASV options, or be "on the ground" (defined by less than 30 kts ground speed.. so you could be in flight, but hit the SLEW "Y" key simulate on ground). You must be on ground during the update process.I can see where this might be confusing, and will work on improving the interface in the future (i.e. allowing easy override of suppression and instant "apply to FS now", even perhaps avoiding the update process altogether, if desired).Thanks again..-Damian