Sign in to follow this  

PSS Dash-8 Initial Impressions

Guest ozhero

Hope you don't mind me starting a new thread ...Despite getting off to a bad start actually obtaining this plane I would like to post my initial impressions after my first flight.I have been virtually flying since the very first PC flight sim (on the Apple II actually) and have a pilot's license (just to establish some credibility here :-) )Even though I was cheesed off by the frustrating attempts to purchase and download the plane the moment I set eyes on this plane sitting on the runway at Meigs (all my new planes start of at Meigs :-)) my frustrations evaporated.This is a beautiful looking plane and the attention to detail is outstanding. Watching the engine startup and props turning for the first time for a moment I though I was looking at a real plane!So what else do I like after my very first flight:1. The Virtual Cockpit is the best I have ever seen.2. The 2D panel is excellent. Clear and crisp and easy on the framerates.3. Love the IFR panel view. My favourite plane (up until now) has been the Flight1 Golden Eagle 421 because of its great cockpit and ability to enlarge the key gauges. PSS has taken this a step further with their panel IFR view, which is more realistsic IMHO.4. It flys beautifully! I know this is totally subjective but it "feels" like you are flying a plane. The flight model "feels" right and taking off and landing are a real joy in this plane. No I am not a Dash-8 pilot and can only compare it to the literally hundreds of Virtual planes I have flown :-) over the years.So in summary I feel, from first impressions only, that this is probably the most I have enjoyed a new plane "straight out of the box". I'm now very motivated to study the manuals and put the time into really understanding the systems and procedures for this aircraft.Hopefully after extensively flying this plane over the next few weeks I will still be raving about it. From what I have seen so far I am getting "good vibes" that I will be :-)P.S. I am eagerly looking forward to the Flight1 Merridan and hope I have the same "out of the box" experience!

Good micro-review! Let me add...My first impressions are very similar. I took it up from the airfield where I first flew in a DHC8 (Tweed New Haven KHVN) and it felt so smooth. Perhaps it was just my anticipation for the product and my imagination filling in the holes for me, but to use human terms, the airplane seemed to fly with confidence.The controls have a good feel to them. :) The trim controls weren't too sensitive... it was not hard to get it straight and level, and not have it wandering up and down. Turning was very smooth - the plane doesn't snap roll. While the controls did have that heavy feel, the plane was still very responsive to inputs.The power controls are the interesting part of the plane. I've played with Oleksiy Frolov's superb freeware Dash-8, and the hardest part was figuring out how to manipulate the thrust and condition levers. Thanks to his plane, I was able to fudge my way through the PSS one, and get off the ground. Speaking of Oleksiy's plane, one of the biggest commentaries on his plane was the difficulty in reading the panels due to their detail and resolution - the PSS version does a better job in that respect, but it sure seems like Oleksiy's systems modelling is superior. The PSS has all you need to fly with, but the freeware (from a glimpse alone) does seem to have the upper hand in systems depth. Also, I think I like his sounds better than PSS's version - although PSS might be using the (Q)uiet variant. (Nevermind the fact that his plane is free, which is a true steal!!!) Landing was great! Without reference to the manual or tutorials, my first PSS Dash-8 landing was so smooth, it would not have awoken even the most sensitive of sleepers upon touchdown. Positive control all the way down. I also did a go-around, and the plane rocketed back into the sky with vigor.I did NOT attempt to use the FMC or other autopilot systems, so I cannot comment on those. All of my flying was done by hand, and it it felt good. IF you are still on the fence about purchasing it - WAIT. Let more comments and reviews come in. God knows we will see a few "PSS sucks because..." posts, with the requisite "Nobody forced you to buy it..." posts. But as of right now, I for one am a happy customer. DOwnloading the software was slow - far slower than normal for the PSS site, probably due to huge volume. This morning I haven't even been able to access the PSS site whatsoever - it seems it has become a popular address! :) Be patient, take a breath, and good luck!Happy Monday,-GermEDIT: I forgot to add... I had a few questions about the operation of the plane/panel that I couldn't figure out, such as a cold and dark cockpit setting. I came >this< close to posting in the PSS forums. Thank goodness I didn't because upon reviewing the documentation once more, I found what I was looking for... reminder to all: RTF(riendly)M! The PSS forum will surely be jamming with questions, praise, complaints, and whatnot over the next few weeks. The manuals have good info in them!

Guest Phoenix

Please be patient, all the access and download problems are due to ISP problems we are having. We are working on them as I write and hope to have them cleared up shortlyRobert KirklandPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Thanks guys for your comments. I been waiting for some feedback before i buy and of course the PSS website to work hehe. =)When i first saw the preview of this plane, something drew me in, must of been because i hear good things about PSS and im nuts for quality VC's. I only just started buying payware planes (RealAir SIAI-Marchetti/FSD Seneca) so hopefully this plane should be a nice addition.

Guest danowat

Damn, now I want to leave work even more just so I can "PLAY" with this plane.BTW I also had a complete nightmare downloading it, It took me ALL DAYDan.

Guest Toni Rauch

In a word,PHENOMENAL !!!!!!!!!Well done Graham and P.S.S. team on a beautiful job. :-beerchug Toni.

I'm in the same boat - it's snowing in Southeastern New England today, making me want to be at home with a cup of hot chocolate and a flight yoke in my hands. :) Add to that the new airplane just begging for attention, and I just cannot focus here at work today.As far as downloading is concerned, I snagged it all between 11:00pm and 11:20 pm EST. That was *BEFORE* the mad rush to get it, and even then the process took time more time than is typical for PSS on my cable connection. I completely understand why and I count myself lucky for having snagged it so early! I hope everyone stays patient with the PSS servers. This just proves how popular the product is!

Sorry Paul.... nope PSS dont build wing views into the products I'm pretty sure they will appear in User Edits before long though :)

NO DOUBT! What the heck am I doing here at work when I should be home flying the new Dash 8 by PSS.So far never a dissapointment when using PSS products....Come on Father time lets get to quiting time!

Damn, I wish you all would stop talking about this bird! Just purchased the Iron Knukles and now you are making me want this!!!Please Just Be Quiet, or tell me you don't like this before nobody gets Presents this year from me ;-)LOL OK, off to spend more money on FS2002 ;-)

Beautiful plane. I just wish these blokes would charge a bit more for the plane and include more liveries (more North American ones in particular!). Five pounds per livery is a bit more than I would like to pay to have my plane decked out in Jazz or United Express colours. I really like the Dreamfleet approach where, with Textomatic, you can access hundreds of liveries for free.

Does it not bother anyone that PSS choose to rip you off with their pricing policy? i.e. charging you for individual paints. Whilst I have absolutely no doubts that the aircraft itself is real nice their policy on pricing is certainly one which, in this case, will mean that they lose a sale.Do other developers do the same? I have not seen any, I would rather pay slightly more for a complete package rather than buy a base installer and be charged for each paint, come on PSS that is ludicrous! Seems that with the christmas season upon us, PSS chose to fill the role of scrooge and take us all for fools.I am sure there are others that echo my sentiments and would like to see PSS release a value for money "package" until then I will stick with Project Fokker.

I agree with the complaint about the pricing for the liveries. As things stand, I have on more than one occasion been persuaded to buy a product because I saw a texture template for a favourite airline...in fact that served as some of notification to me of the existence of the product. So come on, PSS, you are loosing out on a golden marketing opportunity here.I suppose the user edits section on the PSS web site will provide some sort of relief as one might obtain additional liveries there at no extra cost...but then, why, PSS, do you not allow repaints, etc to be posted on public software libraries such as AVSIM.Christmas is a time of giving, not taking!

Agree :-)I've seen a lot own a lot but this one is far the best payware add on...Congratulations with a beauty of an aircraft outstanding model... Flight dynamics are great Cockpit graphics from outstanding quality...Spectacular lightning effects really love them... Great readable gauges Etc...Andr

André