Sign in to follow this  

PSS Dash 8 - Dynamic Wing Views?

I'm very curious if the aircraft includes them? The (real) Dash 8 is one of my favorite aircraft to fly in as a pax, as it's one of the few where you can see everything from gear deployment/retraction to the props and control surface movements.-John

Guest Toni Rauch

Hi JohnThey're not included but what a stunning plane anyway!RegardsToni.

I agree about the aircraft...very stunning shots from what I've seen. Some of the most photoreal around!

hi Johnhave to agree..PSS Dash 8 is amazing..love the VC with the moving wipers.paint jobs are really good as well.anything by PSS is a must have ,in my opinion. best wishes steve

Guest AndrewJM

Why do so few developers provide dynamic wing displays? It would surely be the icing on the cake onm what is a fine product.

Why do so few developers provide dynamic wing displays? It would surely be the icing on the cake onm what is a fine productI'd say the icing on the cake would be to be able to read the guages better ;-)Not sure what the big deal is with wing displays? I guess they feel as I do, that you should be flying the plane not looking at nice wing display's ;-)

"I guess they feel as I do, that you should be flying the plane not looking at nice wing display's"That's the beauty of a flight simulator....it not only simulates flying, but it also simulates flight. Many users enjoy flying from a pax perspective. I've easily logged over one million miles as a pax. I've logged fewer than 200 as a pilot, and that was almost twenty years ago. While I do fly FS, I often run it to enjoy the ride. No user, both of us included, should tell others how FS should be used....What's heartening is that for every developer excluding these views, more and more are including them. Contrary to popular belief, they don't harm framerates (and I deal with a P3/800), and inclusion of them doesn't somehow eliminate virtual cockpts. In both FSDS and GMAX, great aircraft with V/C's and virtual external surface views have been released. But there will always be developers that release products based on what they believe customers should be doing with the sim. Sorry to say, the hour or two extra work will lose them business. I think the PSS Dash-8 looks great, so does the Flight 1 DC9--and I hope they succeed--they have certainly earned it. But I'll wait for A/C, payware (like Ariane's) or freeware (like Rick's Gulfstream, or the coming FFG 737NG) that simulate all environments, both pilot and pax....

John I'll agree with you regarding the wing view and since I'll can fly every plane virtual upside down why not the view :-lol...But with respect to the dash 8 it's a real beauty and for me personally the best payware add-on plane for FS2002 up until now :-)Just did a flight EHAM > EDDK with activeSky wxRe and that was an almost real experience for me :-)So of course it's your choice John and I for one are not going to argue that, but leaving this plane on the virtual shelve for missing a wing view...If you need some more info or screenshots let me know, willing to share knowledge/experience.... Great contribution to my hobby...Andr

André

"but leaving this plane on the virtual shelve for missing a wing view..."It's not only that, but also a budget issue. As a husband, father with a mortgage, car payment, etc....I spend my entertainment money very frugally--rarely more than $50-60 a year related to FS. This year I went all out--Flight 1 421, DF Cardinal, and the Ariane 737. It means I sometimes have to pick and choose between projects. For my money, if I have do decide between a project that does what I enjoy vs. one that has just the "looks", I'll go for what I enjoy. I rarely fly from exterior view, although I appreciate the PSS aircraft for the art that it is. As for cockpit drill, I've never been one for that. I spend all day dealing with systems and drills--don't want that to be my entertainment too. As for the PSS shots--keep 'em coming in.... It's a 'beaut, and I hope it makes many simmers happy.... Maybe in a revision, they can add the internal views that are so interesting in the Dash 8....

Guest Toni Rauch

JohnI believe it was Graham who suggested that although wing views aren't part of the PSS package, someone is bound to create them and share that creation with the community. (If it wasn't Graham, sorry and full credit to the guy who did say it).Surely that's one of the great things about a community like this - PSS have released an excellent piece of work that represents state-of-the-art as well as value for money, but they couldn't have included every single bell and whistle on everyone's wish list. No developer (commercial or freeware) could.But at least they're not going to try and stop someone talented from further enhancing the planes by creating those views for those, like yourself, who want them and sharing those views if they want to. So come on, talented designers - get creating!!!Toni.

You can't create dynamic wing views without access to the source gmax files. Static bitmaps are a poor substitute, and those are the only views the freeware community can create. -John

Those are great planes John C421 and DF737 :-)Will post some screenshots in the correct forum here at avsim :-)Wanted only to point out that this one is really great also the sounds played on quality hardware, Mike did a great job :-)By the way John you own also the Cardinal? (great ga plane :-))Great service also from DF with the RG update....Andr

André

I love the Cardinal. The RG update was an early Christmas gift I never would have expected. And seemingly minor changes were made that didn't matter much to some, but made a huge difference for me. One thing I fear is that add-on development may slow, with another version of FS possibly in the works. I hope not--after the new year, I'd like to get at least two more upgrades, along with FSDS 2.-John