Hi guys1. presently have the feature "depict fs9 haze layer" OFF and " Fog generation layer " ON or selected however it says it will generate a low overcast stratus layer when no clouds are visible BUT if I have set "favor cumulas over stratus" What happens in this case, and is this stratus layer the one that looks pretty bad with hard edges and really low mostly noticeable around the mountains? 2. Since i've been playing with settings before actually doing my long long flight, I also wanted to know and noticed the default settings for VAS frequency and strength have gone down to 30% I believe at one point they used to be default 40 or 50 back in ASV days, so is the reason that most people found this setting really having an impact when at 40 or above, i presently have it set to 40 but thats when turbulence didn't exist as an option, I was simulating turbulence through VAS occurence and strength. Thanks!

Hi Joe,1) Yes "Fog Layer Generation" can cause sometimes hard edges around cloud/terrain blending regions. It really depends on the cloud textures in use, the weather conditions, the terrain, etc. If you experience hard blending then you can disable this.2) We turned it down slightly be default to avoid excessive turbulence in light aircraft (based on user feedback). VAS and Turbulence effects are now 2 different things, both contributing to the overall "air smoothness". The defaults are a great starting point but it all of course is up to your person preference.Hope that helps,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Ok thanks seeing I only fly heavy aircraft this setting will probably be pushed up for me as in real life severe turbulence for a cessna can be light for a heavy aircraft, assuming ASV 6 (VAS and turbulence) and fs9 work this way?Is the turbulence noticed only above a certain altitude or is VAS and turb. anywhere and random even on takeoff and touch down?Sorry for all the questions but this is really as real as it gets!!!!

Hi Joe,No worries about the questions, that's why we are here!In a heavy, as in real life, you're not going to "experience" nearly as much turbulence, although the turbulence is the same and will be "experienced" much more in a light aircraft. This is all part of the FS9 physics engine.So normally you don't need to make changes based on the aircraft you are flying. Leave it to FS9 to depict the overall effect.But of course it all depends on preference, which is why we have the options..Turbulence can be noted all the way down to the ground, although we do limit turbulence (in random processes) a bit due to simulation of realistic ground friction effect on wind (as you get close to the ground, the wind speed generally gets lower, and any turbulence will also generally be lower). So yes you can experience the turbulence effect during takeoff and touchdown although it will be much less likely (depends on the conditions and option settings).For VAS, we disable it above 100AGL to prevent the "floating" effect of possible updrafts during your final approach/flare to landing. So you won't experience VAS until you're above this point. Even above 100AGL positive vertical air strength (updrafts) will be much less when very near to the ground (also as it is in real life, due to friction and thermal properties).Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest JimBrown

>For VAS, we disable it above 100AGL to prevent the "floating"StringReplace("above","below","we disable it above 100AGL");Heh....jim