Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

AS v what's actually happening

Guest allblack

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not criticising, I love AS, but as they say, if you don't ask, you'll never know!Just been searching for some interesting weather in AS, and I selected Thunderstorms.I got approx. ten options, including the below:5: NZKI 000000Z 16022G35KT 020V200 5SM BKN010 TSRW 18/16 A2980 6: NZOH 000000Z 16022G35KT 020V200 5SM BKN010 TSRW 18/16 A2980 7: NZPP 000000Z 16022G35KT 020V200 5SM BKN010 TSRW 18/16 A2980 8: NZWN 000000Z 16022G35KT 020V200 5SM BKN010 TSRW 18/16 A2980Now, NZWN is about....hmmm....five miles away, as the seagulls fly.NZPP is an hours drive away up north, or 17 hours during public holidays!I don't know what you call the data line above (metar?), but somewhere in there is Thunderstorms, right? And 35kt gusts? 22 kt winds from the south?Well, time for a scientific test. I took my cigarette and lighter outside, stood in an open area of my back yard, fully exposed to the south, and lit my cigarette. First time. No wind to blow the flame away. In fact, it's a perfectly still evening.A few clouds, from the north I might add, lots of stars out, all in all not a bad night.Then I thought the data may be a few hours old. Fair enough, it's New Zealand after all, and we don't feature on anyone's radar! Some morons even think we're part of Australia, though if any came to NZ and said that they better have their will sorted.But I digress. Been a nice day in Wellington, early evening presently, quite warm as it's a northerly, certainly minimal gusts all day I wouldn't think anywhere near 35kts.Sooo....for the uneducated amoungst us, can someone explain to me why the weather above contradicts what I'm seeing presently?Thanks Jim (how's that for presumptuous!)CheersTim

Guest allblack

....by the way.If in the next few hours we get strong winds from the south, and thunderstorms, I'll be so impressed I'll give AS my next born!CheersTim

Hi Tim,That is OK, there are enough children around already!At first I thought data problem, but no, it is not. I would say that you used the Wx Configurator and loaded up the Thunderstorm Weather Theme and applied it to all the stations or all the stations in your area.To search for weather did you use the Weather Finder?Smoking is bad for you so get rid of those things!!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

I'd say it looks like a data issue as the METAR date/time element seems to indicate it is for the "zero'th" of the month.

AVSimSig.jpg

Hi,The 000000Z time stamp is the clue, and I believe Jim is correct that this was a loaded Wx Configurator template.To get online live weather enabled, just check the option "Online Updates". Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest allblack

Oh sh*t!Oops, have turned Online Updates back on...I've been trying to get to grips with AS Graphics, and must have switched it off.Thanks guys! I'm happy I'm not the "fly off the handle" type - that could have been embarrasing!CheersTim