Sign in to follow this  
Guest robains

.NET and ActiveSky6 Graphics

Guest robains

Just wanted to let you know that you have an inaccuracy with your web site in regards to the .NET framework component requirements. I'm a developer and if you use VS 2003 to produce the ActiveSky6 Graphics program, you will need .NET 1.1. If you used VS 2005, you will need .NET 2.0 framework. Your web site suggests getting .NET 2.0 -- but the fact it is, you must get the version that matches the dev tool you used to create ActiveSky 6 graphics program.Normally you can create a Setup Project that will include the .NET framework version and either specify to be included in the Setup, or have it obtain the .NET framework automatically from a web site (default is Microsoft's URL) and install.I assume you didn't include .NET framework because it does add a significant chunk to the download, hence why you might want to considered the check and download from MS site (end result is still the same for the user, but the entire bandwidth hit isn't on your web site).Otherwise, love your products -- always have from the beginning. Keep up the great work, if you need development assistance in the future with any .NET/VS 2005 features just contact me. .NET 2.0 does provide some VERY nice options with BackgroundWorker threads and much more. VS 2005 IDE is incredibly buggy, but lets hope the SP1 for it comes out soon. But .NET 2.0 framework seems pretty solid.Rob.

Guest Andre77ab

So...it's enough to have the version 1.1 updated or MUST uninstall the 1.1 and install the 2.0 or both???Andy

Guest robains

You just need 1.1, you don't need 2.0.If developed with:VS 2002 must have .NET 1.0VS 2003 must have .NET 1.1VS 2005 must have .NET 2.0If the product was developed with VS 2003, then .NET 1.1 is all you need.If the product was developed with VS 2003 and you only have .NET 2.0 installed on the target PC, then you will still NOT be able to run the application and MUST install .NET 1.1For .NET (aspx) web applications it gets more complicated. If you run both .NET 1.1 web apps and .NET 2.0 web apps on the same web server, you MUST create separate application pools in IIS. You will then need to assign the version of .NET to each application pool. Example you create an application pool "NET 1.1 Apps" and set the ASP reference to .NET 1.1 then your .NET 1.1 (aspx) web site must reference ".NET 1.1 Apps" in IIS (web server)..NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 web applications on the same server can NOT share a single application pool because that pool is assigned a specific .NET framework version.I'm sure you're asking the question "why did Microsoft do this" -- I know, it sure feels similar to DLL #### of the past, but it is what it is. Maybe WinFX (aka .NET 3.0) will solve the multiple version requirements, but I'm not seeing that happening. I did notice that ActiveSky 6 seemed to have a few issues with thread management and interface design, but otherwise, great product!! I recommend it to ALL, the weather simulation is by far the best I've seen to date and I hope there is a strong progression path into FS X for ActiveSky.Rob.

Hi Rob,Thanks for the observation and clarification. We'll of course update our website requirements info.Thanks for the words! We're always seeking help, with some big projects in the works with a definite progression into FSX :) Please shoot me an email to damianc@hifisim.com and we can talk more?Threads... I recently started using threads in new projects and it has provided much more overall performance control. A breakthrough really. AS core Wx Engine in VB6 was a bit of a performance nightmare with so much going on limited control with the language (and limited experience at the time the core design was built). .NET, a new interface vision and my recent several years experience with AS have opened up new realms and I am very excited to show everyone what I've been working hard on... soon... :) VS 2005 will also happen but I am waiting for the bugs to iron out. Should be real soon

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest robains

Hi Damian,Fired off an E-Mail to you. VS 2005 has a lot of potential and many bugs -- hopefully MS fix will be out soon. I know I really need it because the current VS 2005 is hurting productivity right now as I'm spending much of my time reseaching problems -- example:My.Computer.FileSystem.GetFiles(), will return UnAuthorizedException errors if you include subdir search and specify the root (i.e. C:) -- craps out when it trys to read "System Volume Information". I was able to come up with a work around (this problem has existed and continues to exist since VB5 days), but what should have been 2 minutes of coding ended up being 4 hours of R&D and finding a working. And this is the very simple stuff!! Unfortunately problems like this are a daily routine and it really is impacting getting projects completed -- my level of frustration with the stuff coming out of Redmond right now is at a peak.I'm sure you have visited http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/defa...aspx?SiteID=210about the closest one can get (unless you have insider contacts) to the developers of VS 2005. But yeah, VS 2005 release in Nov 2005 was clearly done to meet a deadline as the product is very much still "Beta" IMHO.

Hello,"Overview The Microsoft

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest robains

You've linked to the "Compact Framework 2.0"?".NET Compact Framework" is intended for PDAs, Phone devices, etc. and has reduced functionality compared to ".NET Framework 2.0."The SP1 for .NET Framework 2.0 is not out yet. But what I'm specifically waiting for is SP1 for VS 2005 which may or may not require a .NET framework update (have to wait and see).According to Microsoft the VS 2005 SP1 is now schedule for Q3 2006.http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/...05/default.aspxRob.

Hello Rob,Thanks for the information, I did miss that !

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64