Sign in to follow this  
gdpdht

Difference between ASX weather and real weather

HiI am enjoying using Active sky, but have noticed some strange differences between real weather and Active sky weather.I live close to the weather station at EKYT and today the weather is clear without even a single cloud in the sky. However, at the same time Active sky X says it is either overcast at 8100 feet or broken clouds and displays this in FSX too. I tried refreshing several times and it seems to switch between these two specific conditions.Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the weather data from this station? Another weather station at EKSN, close to EKYT, is currently also displaying overcast conditions allthough weather services report clear weather, so it is not just a local problem i guess.RegardsHenrik

Guest Makhno

Same problem here - I'm also flying from EKYT and today is a very sunny day i real life, but overcast in ASX.

Hi,Can you post the METAR?If a station is not reporting any cloud information and does not include CLR, SKC, etc., "No Data Cloud Generation" can create layers automatically. You can control the chance and amount of layers generated by adjusting the slider in the options (cloud group, No Data Cloud Generation). You may desire less clouds here. In addition there are other controls for cloud generation including CAVOK reports and Cirrus.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thank you for answering.I am pretty new to flight sim so I am not exactly sure what you are requesting. My guess is you want what is displayed under the report in ASX? So far it is still saying overcast but totally clear skies in real life as far as I can see.METAR: EKYT 072020Z 06005KT CAVOK 21/13 Q1022 RMK FEW060TAF: EKYT 071740Z 071803 09005KT 9999 SKC TEMPO 0103 5000 MIFGBtw. precipitation and temperature seems to be accurate during the latest week or so.I have set CAVOK cloud gen. to 5% and no data generation to 25%. Cirrus at 50%. I will try lowering that further just to test it.RegardsHenrik

Just an update...Set all the above mentioned sliders to 0% and then I got clear skies at EKYT. Guess I had misunderstood how the sliders influenced the real weather.Again, thanks for your suggestions. Keep up the good work.

Hi,Just as an FYI, we've noted in some circumstances CAVOK can be creating more than desired and even some below CAVOK standards. This is a known issue being addressed. Ideally 50% should give you realistic results in most circumstances.Best,

Damian Clark

Guest Makhno

Is this a server-side problem or do we need a patch for ASX before this can be fixed? I'm really longing for blue skies over EKYT (Aalborg).

Hi, No it is not server side but client side. You can get always clear skies right now by using 0% on the CAVOK and No Data sliders. After the update you'll be able to use 20-30% to get clear skies (usually) with a bit of low-density layers occasionally. Right now 20-30% tends to give too much.Best,

Damian Clark